Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Geforce4 mx 440 and windows XP problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzraelKans

Programmer
May 7, 2003
MX
I have been reading this forum looking for answers for my problem, I have a chaintech geforce mx 440 agp card in a amd duron 1200, 256 ram running in windows xp.

As many of you I have had problems with this configuration however unlike some applying the 4 in 1 via driver and patch did not solved anything. Im also using the Windows XP detonator certified driver (not the new detonator drivers)

This is a list of the programs I tried and what happened.

*CG toolkit (nvidia). worked fine
*Creature Demo and other demos (nvidia) worked fine.

(note I just noticed I didnt ran this software as much as the others, so maybe they do lock up after a while)

Spiderman Demo (activision) Locks up after a few minutes
Soul Reaver 2 () presents bugs, screen garbage and runs very slowly in open areas.
Jedi Knight 2 (q3 engine) locks at starting screen
Medal of honor (q3 engine) locks when trying to load a mission.
Max Payne. Locks at menu screen.

Any advice is welcome. =)

BTW a friend of mine suggested I should use
DxSDK demos. wont work (may be a bad install though).

p.s. All of this software runs perfectly in my riva tnt2 (except cgtoolkit which requires vertex shaders and spiderman because it requires hardware t&l) .

Have you tried this with the latest detonator drivers, not the certified, but the nVidia ones?

Well, not after I installed the 4 in 1 driver and the patch, do you think that could help?

By the way a friend of mine suggested I should strap my old card fan (riva tnt2) in top of the new card so it wont overheat, but Im not pretty sure about that being a good idea.

Than you for your comment, I will give it a try.

Hmm, no that didnt solved the problem, My system still locks after a few minutes of use. And some games /applications wont run at all.

Do you think I should use the extra fan? it doesnt make sense to me, why if it needs a fan _to work_ how come it doesnt have one included?

My specs:
AMD duron 1200+
256 ram
chaintech geforce 4 mx 440
Windows XP
80 gb hdd

Oh.. I found something that might be important, my BIOS doesnt have a AGP 2x or 4x or even any AGP at all! theres only 2 choices.
1.-ONBOARD AGP
2.-PCI Card.

Thats it. (yes I know it sucks) however curiously enough, my TNT2 doesnt have any problem with it, and I want to emphasize the NO problem part.

Seriously my TNT2 runs better than ever! sometimes I even wonder if the damn thing "mutated" into a geforce 2 at some point, I just cant remember the card running so smoothly ever! Kudos to windows xp! (I think).

Unfortunately good old TNT2 doesnt have hardware T&L or hardware vertex/pixel shaders or any of that fancy stuff 3d engines are supossed to have this days and coders are supossed to know how to do. So stupid me went and bought a new shiny Geforce 4 card! (at a good price too!) as soon as I plugged it in Surprise! it doesnt work! You may imagine my joy.

Any advice here would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

my specs:

AMD Athalonx XP 2100+
Geforce 2 MX 400 (64MB)
MSI K7N2-L Board
256MB 266Mhz DRAM

I get complete lockups when I run anything in direct3d (warcraft3 for example).

The only way I could get it to not lock was underclocking my CPU from 1733Mhz to 1433Mhz with lower FSB's on the CPU and RAM. =/ I'll keep looking for a better solution...

Nathan Buffett, Drotain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back