Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Geforce4 locking up on games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kowai

Programmer
May 30, 2005
NZ
The other day, i just got a pentium 4, and a &quot;MSI MS-StarForce GeForce 4 MX 440 (NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440)&quot; <-- what it says in system properties. In some of my games, such as Dungeon Siege, the game locks up after a minute or two.... sometimes evern before i exited the menu to start playing. It works just fine on other 3d games, like Unreal Tournament. Also, some of the games the card came with don't even work. Any ideas on what to do?

Have you upgraded the latest driver and directx ?
how about the AGP of your mb driver ? if you use via chipset, you need to get the latest driver for it

Geforce4 MX440 may not be compatable with WinXP If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Have same issues with geforce4 ti4200.
Its directx8.1 and the Geforce drivers.
I have tried the via drivers, little luck.

I had posted in the past that Via chipset mb has issue
but people kept disagree with me
now some have come to narrow down their problem with AGP driver on Via Chipset MB

perhaps when you post a problem on your Video Card not working properly in your system, you should post what kind of chipset on your mb to start with

since i switched all my systems to Intel with Intel chipset MB, and i took a tone of headache solving problem
Mostly CAD machine, i assume same goes to newer GF card

heres a troubleshooting flowchar 1. drivers(up to date, compatible with os?) 2. enough memory(ram to carry out intensive operations under higher end games) 3. HEAT HEAT HEAT! i didnt believe along time ago that heat could be the problem but with my geforce4 ti4600 it proved it and i had to get another fan for my vid card. make sure your ram is cooled and so is your vid card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back