Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Geforce3 Ti500 Crashing XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCMONSTER

Technical User
Nov 27, 2001
US
I am using Win XP Home and it is blue screeen crashing daily. Appears to crash during redraw functions. Not sure exactly where problem is, but starting to consider the builders didn't set-up properly. Are there special settings in CMOS or BIOS to work with this video card? Or, BIOS may not be updated. I have Award v3.0.

Motherboard: Shuttle AK31 w/Via KT266 chipset
BIOS: Award v 3.0
RAM: 512 MB DDR
Processor: AMD XP1800+
Video: LeadTec Geforce3 Ti500 w/64 MB DDR (w/NVDIA Detonator XP driver update)

Using card at high res. (1024 x 768 at 32 bit??) I should be able to run at the highest res. for what I paid for this card.

KCMONSTER: what BSOD error do you get? Is it the "infinite loop" or "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" ?

I get those on my Dell Inspiron 8100 + WinXP. And that computer is intel + nvidia based. Intel CPU + chipset and Nvidia graphics.

Do you get the same problems with Windows 2000 on you computer?

3dmax------By all means I am not a "trained" tech or anything like that and I speak from learning the hard way. My understanding of "integrated" is your sound, video, fax, or ethernet being integrated on the motherboard. Also, I think integrated systems would come from places like Dell, Gateway, HP, Compac. To do some upgrade and/or repairs on the system, you must buy the products straight from them. They have a limited selection in the way of options, however they seem to work together well. Still, for the freedom of going out to purchase whatever new hardware in the future I want to buy, I will stick non-integrated.

Non-integrated is pretty much every piece for itself and nothing being integrated on the motherboard. On the Shuttle board there is sound, but I believe that is all (simply turn it off in Advanced Chipset settings in BIOS). There is mention somewhere in the manual about ethernet, but mine has no connection for such.

A system that you spec out from Cyberpower or some of the other builders is going to be non-integrated.

Again, as mentioned in earlier posts on this thread, I have my machine running stable now with motherboard settings on "optimized defaults" w/sound turned OFF in BIOS. This is important because WinXP will recognize new hardware installed and try endlessly to find the drivers for it.

Still pretty bummed though. If I can't run in anything other than optimized defaults (not that I have a need to) it shows that there are problems stemming from the motherboard.

ddlink -- I honestly don't know what the error string is. I know that I have never had the infinite loop problem a lot of folks are having. Again, since I changed to "optimized defaults" on the motherboard and turned off the onboard sound everything has been stable (no crashs that is). I still get funky errors that need to be sent to MS every time I boot up, but they are not linked to anything MS can answer in WinXP Crash Reporting response.

I am considering the power supply issue I mentioned earlier in this thread. This component problem, if true, could be a problem among lots of users chasing MB, BIOS, chipset, videocards, drivers and CPUs as the source. It very well could be something that simple.

ddlink -- by the way, I have never used Win2000. It would appear though in the forums out there that the problems are definitely not OS related. Problems are with 98, 2000, ME and XP Home and Professional.

Ditto on the same problem with my Athlon 1800 XP on a Asus A7V266-E MotherBoard with a GeForce3 TI200 card. I also get the blue screen with windows indicating a problem with the GeForce3 driver n4V_disp.dll.

Tryed Detonator and crashes became more frequent so called Nvidia who pointed me to the Via site - download drivers for the Via chipset and then downgrade drivers from Detonator to 21.83 version.

Since then, no blue screens (at least for last 2 days - touch wood) but still the odd freezeup with my XP.

From the forums I've seen, tons of people are sharing our grief :(

Only time will tell if this did remedy the Stop problem...

Hope someone draws some conclusion soon but it was interesting to see from the Jan 15/DDLink posting that the infinite loop problem is also resident to Intel systems..

I switched from an Epox 8K7A+ (AMD with Via southbridge) to an Asus A7V266-E without reinstalling XP. The only problem I have is that it will not shut down. It goes down, then the drives power back up, but no video. I am running a GeForce 3 Ti 500. I was going to reinstall XP clean, but after reading the above posts I'm afraid to. It runs really fast and stable right now (even overclocked). I am using nvidia's leaked experimental driver 27.50. Any ideas on the shutdown issue? And yes it happens at stock speeds as well...

XMS2400, I got a similar problem.

I am using leaked 27.42 (i think it is).

When im shutting it down, my computer starts the shutdown sequence. But it stops halfways with a blank screen.

I found that I can ALT + TAB, CTRL + ALT + DEL and after some repeating I get the loginscreen which itself also got a shutdown function. From here I can shutdown normally.

I thought this problem was due to using terminal services, but after reading your post I think its more due to leaked drivers?

I've been going crazy with my new system as well....

In addition to blue screens with a "dumping memory" message, I can't get the WDM driver to install and the video I/O on the card and the glasses won't work.

A-bit K7 MB 512 DDR
Athlon XP 2000
Asus Geforce 3 TI 200

I paid a LOT of money for this machine. Am I really without a paddle?

Have tried multiple Asus / Nvidia drivers. Sigh!

AMD XP 2000+
ASUS V8200 TI500 Deluxe Geforce 64MB
ASUS 52x CDROM
ASUS 7N266 MainBoard nForce
HP 8230e External CDRW
3 x 60GB Deskstars 7200rpm

I have downloaded all the latest drivers and am running a dual boot w/ XP Pro and Win 2K Adv Serv. I get constant crashes that have stemmed mostly from CDROM activity and Video Activity. I even get freezes that warrant pushing the reset button.

eg. I put in or take out a CD into the 52x and then crash.
I load up a game with high definition graphics and crash again.

I've tried turning off the accelleration but the games won't even run and my 3d applications won't even startup without a crash.

I'm having the same problem with the detonators and XP, worse off is that my system was preloaded with XP and a GeForce3. I keep getting a BSOD with the reading that nv4.disp is stuck in a continuous loop, therefore the system was halted. I've tried 4 different GeForce manufacturors and three different off the shelf system, all the same error. It seems that nVidia doesn't have all their ducks in a row for XP yet.

I don't know about the bsod problems you all have been having but here's my sequence of events. Put together a system with: MSI K7T Pro2-A motherboard
256mb VC133 cas2 ram
Visiontek Geforce3-Ti200
56X cd-rom
Ricoh 6/4/24 cdrw
Soundblaster Live/value
Maxtor 40gb ATA133
After installing WindowsXP on the brand new HD everything pretty much went o.k. except for XP loading the windows drivers for the soundcard. However my display was distorted, it was like watching a cinemascope movie on a regular tv screen, all squashed together. I checked device manager and windows drivers were loaded for the VIA KT133a chipset. I installed the latest 4in1 drivers(of course had to tell windows to use them each individually) and voila, no more distorted display and games play flawlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back