Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Geforce upgrade!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooby

Technical User
Mar 24, 2001
GB
Hi all.
on another forum I have recently embarked upon a guy said that if you download a file called SOquadro you can upgrade your Geforce graphics card by using software only.Would anyone happen to know if this is true.I daren't down the file incase of virus,Variant or trojan infestation(I have a firewall but its through another PC-Network)

THANX
;-)

What does he mean by upgrade? Is he saying increase processor speed? Is he saying update drivers? Either of those updates can be done via software only. Get the detailed info on what he says, & then let us know. I know that I was able to overclock my Voodoo3's processor but I don't recommend doing that unless you got a substantial bit of video ram (more than 16 like what I got). And updating the bios & drivers can be done by software too. Find out & post what you've found out, then we can determine just how legitimate it is.

Software conversion?? I know for a fact that GeForce/Geforce2 cards can be converted into Quadro/Quadro2 cards by shifting a resistor on the board, but I never heard of using software to do that. Perhaps that guy meant flashing a GeForce with a Quadro's flash rom. I highly doubt the conversion can be made without the physical alteration.

-Barry

The GeForce GTS and Quadro are identical except for their drivers. The program just modifies the drivers to say that a Quadro is present and will enable the extra features. It's like how you can edit the registry and have a Radeon LE use the Hyper-Z technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back