Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GeForce MX 400 64MB 2x/4x not working HELP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeynut2004

Technical User
Feb 23, 2004
US
I have a HP Pavilion 8860 had a video board go bad. Got a used pci just to get by on till I could get a AGP card works ok, So I got this Geforce MX 400 64mb it says on box for 4x or 2x, well I pulled the old agp out put this new card in turned on computer no video at all, I can change over to the PCI and video comes right on, The Device manger is not showing this card, I Pulled it out and put it back in to make sure it was down good did not help.I did things like the CD that came with it said do but it is not working thanks for any help.....

Are you getting any post error beeps?
Have you checked in the BIOS to make sure that AGP is set to 4x or lower. If the motherboard is able to support 8x this may be set in the BIOS.

Check your bios , it may have reset itself to pci video rather than agp .

Hp computers , hit F1 , then Enter key to go into bios .

Also , make sure Pnp is active , this allows the pc to detect the new device , and install the drivers .

One major problem I come across all the time with hp computers , is system board drivers not being installed , so you should locate on the web your updated usb drivers and install these first before attempting the driver installation for the new video card .

I am still trying to get this video card working but no luck. I have been trying every way I can think to get to the BIOS but no luck yet,I have a HP pavilion 8860 they say press F1 when you see the HP screen on startup But no hp screen ever comes up just the Windows ME screen........

Do you have both video cards in the machine at the same time? if you do,pull the pci card out,and try just the agp card.

techiideas: bios setting for agp/pci is just where it will look first on bootup,not keep video from working.2. pnp has no bearing,it has no video. if it has no video in post then windows has no chance to help it with a driver. 3. USB is a totally seperate bus then the pci and agp,you don't need the system board drivers for usb to get any device not connected to the usb bus to work.

Thanks for all your help as soon as I pulled the PCI card out Everything went great, The Geforce went good just had get new Drivers looks good, Thanks Again

If you need to get into the BIOS, if you press F1 when you first press the power button this should get you in.
There is probably a setting in the BIOS that says not to show the BIOS activation key.

disable the onboard video and uninstall the drivers

remove the pci card and uninstall the drivers

then install your card and drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back