Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Geforce FX5200 Vs Onboard NVIDIA 6100 GPU 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElijahBaley

IS-IT--Management
May 4, 2001
GB

Hi Guys

Can anyone give me a rough benchmark between a stand alone Geforce FX5200 card with 128Mb Ram on card and a shared memory Onboard NVIDIA 6100 GPU

Is one superior to the other?

Thanks

..EB (Plainclothesman)

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"
"Captain A.J. Rimmer, Space Adventurer!"

In theory the 6100 integrated should be better but as we all know integrated very rarely performs "ON PAR" with an equivelent standalone card.
The other point is the onboard will use system resources so it's a close thing.
These two links show 3D benchmarks but obviously not with the same platform or CPU but you can see they are benching almost identically (I know this is not a fair comparison)
Personally I would always go for the seperate card by virtue of it freeing up important resources.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Thanks for your help Paparazi

The reason that I am asking is that I want to make the move to PCI express and am looking to get a new Socket 939 PCIe board and processor Athlon 64 - but can't afford a new GPU at the same time! (FX5200 is AGP)

So i am looking at some Gigabyte boards with nVidea chipsets which may just keep up performance until I can get a new card as well.

Cheers

..EB (Plainclothesman)

Thats a difficult one due to the compromises you will have to make:

All the fully fledged Nforce4 motherboards are PCI-e only(as far as I know)
As you say, choosing one of the boards with the 6100/6150 NF4 integrated derivative will give you built in 6100/6150 graphics, which is about the same as your 5200 AGP card and with the option to install a faster PCI-e card at a later date.
The down side is these boards are not as feature rich and are all micro ATX so they will limit the amount of addon's

On the plus side I have read that these boards run very well with a seperate PCI-e graphics installed and are not much slower than a full sized NF4 with the same card.

Last option I guess would be either a different chipset 939 board that does use an 8X AGP slot, like the NF3 250 or ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2 that has both PCI-e and 8X AGP but again these are not the fastest when compared to the NF4ultra/SLi chipset although not far off.
Martin

Thanks again, hmmn still don't know what to do - maybe i'll wait and see if I can get a better board and a separate GPU.

Cheers mate,

Graham

..EB (Plainclothesman)

Hi Graham,

I've just upgraded recently and am running an Nforce 4 Gigabyte board (K8N51GMF-9).

It has the 6100 on which i used for a week while i was waiting for a PCI-E 7600GT Card.

Im currently running an Athlon64 3200+ and 2GB Ram. I also had a 5200FX in my old system.

Performance seemed slightly better on the 6100 than the 5200 however the 7600GT is rapid (ie, Metal Gear 2, FarCry etc all run at full detail @ 1280x1024) and run at reasonable speeds - no jitter etc.

The machines been stable, it has the 939Socket so can goto more or less any Athlon64/FX/DualCore chip on the market with ease.

I think the performance of the 6100 may have stayed good because i'm running 2GB of DDR533 on Dual Channel and i allocated a lump to the 6100.

In my eyes id get the better board and get a 7300LE card (or something similar) thats about 6-8 times quicker than an FX5200 and can be had for about £60.

Good luck

I wish someone would just call me Sir, without adding 'Your making a scene'.

Rob

Thanks Rob,

I did bend the plastic in the end and went for A Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Ultra, Athlon64 3200 and GeForce 6600GT.

Hopefully that will improve performance and give me a good platform for the next year or two.

Graham

..EB (Plainclothesman)

ElijahBaley
Solid choice! a mature platform without issue's, Venice 3200's are ultra cool with lots of potential and the 6600GT is a good little performer that will play everything at acceptable settings and frame rates.
Martin

Goods should be arriving tomorrow ;)

..EB (Plainclothesman)

Good choice. The 6600GT is still a very powerful card. The 3200+ also packs a lot of punch (i've also got the venice core).

I've always used Gigabyte boards since i've started with computers because there really robust and stable.

I wish someone would just call me Sir, without adding 'Your making a scene'.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back