Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

geforce 3 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

baks

Instructor
Oct 17, 2001
GB
when i try to run certain games my computer locks up and a white screen appears and the sound loops repeatedly. But with some games such as mdk2 and black and white my card works perfectly. I can run Quake 3 on 800*600 but in max rresolution it crashes about one minute into the game and in Unreal tournament iit crashes when i try to play a game using the Opengl driver. Can anyone help?

OK, Give me your full specs of the computer and the OS. -----------------
MK

Everybody should use AntiVirus! Are you protected now?

my specs are:
Intel 815 chipset
P3 933mhz
128 mb pc133 ram
seagate st320413a hard drive
sony crx140\e cdrw
internal 100mb zip drive
nec lcd screen 1525m

bios- phoenix technologies 4.06 bios date 03\22\01

I dont know what motherboard ive got.

The problem seems to happen only within games and on some games i can play but with a much lower resolution.

my specs are:
Intel 815 chipset
P3 933mhz
128 mb pc133 ram
seagate st320413a hard drive
sony crx140\e cdrw
internal 100mb zip drive
nec lcd screen 1525m

bios- phoenix technologies 4.06 bios date 03\22\01

I dont know what motherboard ive got.

Windows 98SE also the same problem occurs with Windows xp

The problem seems to happen only within games and on some games i can play but with a much lower resolution.

Hey Ive heard of many problems with video cards and LCD monitors, you might want to try a regular monitor and see what happens. Just a suggestion.

Check and see if the fan on the card is spinning.. That could explain the crashes you get after a minuet... and when running on low resolution, not much power is required from the chip, so it won't overheat fast.

So firstly, check and see if the Heat Sink is attached correctly to the chip, and that the Fan is spinning.

If it is working fine, then it could be poor ventilation in your computer, try running the computer with the case a bit open.

-----------------
MK

Your monitor COULD be a problem.. I also have another computer with a LCD screen, but don't use it for games because of the poor motion quality; anyhow, it works fine with my computer. I can't see how a monitor could cause a video card to stall.
Except maybe a conflict with the Refresh rates? Since LCD doesn't really "Refresh" the screen..? -----------------
MK

im sure the fan on the card is spinning and i never had any problems previously when i owned a voodoo 3 but im going to but a 300w power supply and see if that works.

Are you using Detonator XP?
Is Direct X Version 8 installed?

Install Direct X 8 first. Then Detonator XP.

for detonator xp drivers

Was the Voodoo 3 you had for AGP slots? Does your motherboard support AGP X2 speeds?

-----------------
MK

ive done all that and i know that my motherboard supports agp 4x but it isnt an option in the bios

Well since you have tested this card on both operating systems, it has to be a hardware related problem.

You also mentioned that you had voodoo 3 before and it worked fine.

It could be the geforce card. If possible, you might want to try borrowing another card (same type/model) from a friend (which works) and test to see if it works on your computer.

OR

You can try using your card on a friends/another computer.

See the results. If your card worked fine on another computer, it must be some sort of hardware problem with your computer. My guess would be the motherboard.

Let me know if it works or not.
-----------------
MK

Hope this helps!

Do you have a sound card? I sometimes get freezes where the sound is 'looping', setting sound quality a notch lower has always solved it for me.

Kjell

i had the same problem after i formatted my drive installed the required drivers but did not install the sound drivers and sound card.

Baks have you tried testing the card on another computer?

Also, it would help if you can find out what motherboard you have.

I can only conclude at the moment that it is either the motherboard, or the actual graphics card. Let me know if you can do any of the above. -----------------
MK

Hope this helps!

Tested the card on another Mobo still the same problems.

Hi Baks,

What gefore card is it?

If you tested it on two different systems and you still got the same problem then it looks like the actual card is defected and you should get it replaced or refunded as soon as possible.

The freezing must be caused by the card overheating. However, you shouldn't do anything to the card. It should be under warranty and I recommend you get it replaced
-----------------
MK

Hope this helps!

RedFaced in Miami--I have noticed that the nVidia cards need to be double snapped into the AGP Slot--the first snap does not fully seat the card---I did this several times-- really need to force the card in--looks like thicker connection points--

best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back