Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GC problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVANH

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2005
When I setup my test network I replicated my AD schema to the test network Domain Controller. I then disconnected it from the main network and reconfigured it as the Only AD server on the network (My production network has 3 DCs). When I did this I lost any connction to the Global Catalog. I have the test network Domain COntroller configured as the Global catalog. I have done the usual stop and start Net Logon service to force it to create the svr records in DNS but it still will not find it. Any suggetions would be helpful.

also make sure you never ever plug it into your prod network again. You will have to do meta cleanup also to remove the "test" DC from the prod environment.

Yep - you gotta seize the fsmo roles. You can verify this by running this from a command prompt on the disconnected DC:
netdom query fsmo
You'll see that it's pointing to the other server(s) for at least some of them.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

I have already seized the fsmo roles. it still doesnt work.
Van

Maybe the old servers are still your test AD. Maybe you need to clean them up first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back