Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gateway on Irix 6.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncletom

Technical User
Nov 21, 2002
DE
Absolute beginner wants to know how to configure network options, especially how to specify the gateway.
Have read something about gated option but have no idea if it is the right way !!??
thnx

UncleTom

Hi uncletom,

Gated is a daemon used when configuring IRIX as an Internet Gateway, which usually requires two interfaces, a primary and a secondary to provide Internet service to a local intranet.

Sice you mentioned you are interested in knowing how to set up network options, I believe what you are looking for is how to set up an IRIX system to get outside an internal network and possible access the Internet. For that purpose you need to know about a different daemon, called ROUTED. Routed takes care of the network routing table. You can check with the chkconfig command to see if "routed" is on. If not turn it on, try:

$chkconfig routed on

then you need to specify a static default route (considering that this is the only gateway you are going to have).

$ cd /etc/config
$ nedit static-route.options

Add the following line to the static-route.options file:
$ROUTE $QUIET add net default xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP of the gateway.
Make sure there is no # (pound sign) at the beginning of the new line. Save the file and restart your system.

Hope this be of help to you
Julio Quijada

;-)::)

Hi Julio,
thnx for your help. It works.
UncleTom

Hi,

I read your question about how to connect the internet with an lan.

I have irix 6.2

and when i give this command (nedit static-route.options)

it give this error command not found

Can you help me ?

Thanks

PS (winxp is the router and works well with other computers in the lan)

Grades,

On my previous message I pointed UncleTom to use "nedit", because that is the preferred text editor on Irix. You can go to the /usr/bin directory to look for more text editors like "jot" - if you have the desktop tools installed - or others like "vi" and "edit". You can use those to edit your static-route.options file.

And just to make sure...in the root directory / issue the following command:

$ find / -name static-route.options -print

If the file static-route.options exists, the above command will tell you where it is located.

With utilities like nedit, jot, edit, and vi that belong to the OS, at the prompt you can issue:

$ which [utility_name]
eg. $ which nedit

and the system will respond by showing you the path to the home directory to that utility.

Regards,
QuijadaJC

I have the same problem and was able to do what you laid out however i still canot connect to web pages (pings router and starts netscape fine) my router is at 192.168.1.1 and i am useing pacbell.net (three xp , 1 mac one ME plus this )@ Station.

Syfer,

If your other machines on the network can connect to the internet thru your router, there might be an issue with name resolution.

After adding the default route to the static-route.options file, check your /etc/resolv.conf file and add there the address of your DNS name, something like this:

nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Then check your /etc/hosts file and make sure that
1) your Irix's machine name is listed as well as
2) your names server, which entries would look like:

127.0.0.1 localhost
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx irixbox.name irixbox
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx dnsname.server dnsname

Save the file and then try your internet again.

Hope this helps,
Julio

Hi quijadajc,

I'm trying to do the same thing as all of the above. The new twist is I can't find the static-route.options or the resolv.conf files. The hosts file is there and seems to be in accordance with your instructions.

I just had the system dumped on me so maybe who ever was using it before deleted these files. Should I just create them or am I just not looking in the right places.

Like those above I'm also using an XP machine as the gateway and the indy has Irix 6.2

Thanks for any assistance,

Sean

Several items.
1) In 6.2 jot was used instead of nedit.
2) resolv.conf has to be created no matter what version of IRIX you are running.
3) static-route.options is in /etc/config. If not, in earlier versions of IRIX we linked a /etc/init.d/network.local file to /etc/rc2.d/S31Network and had that file contain the line, route add default xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 0 0

Hope that helps

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back