Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gateway Laptop Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baldy

Technical User
Jun 14, 2000
GB
I have a 2 year old Gateway Solo 9100 laptop. I recently replaced the Hard Drive. When I went to power up I found the user password to be corrupt/lost. I went inside and pulled the lead which went to what appeared to be the cmos battery. This did not reset the password. Can anyone help in telling me what to do to get my password back or reset it? I am a student and can't afford to return it to Gateway to reset

Are you talking about a bios password? or a windows password? I suspect that you are talking about a bios password. In that case you should be able to go to gateway's website and find information on how to reset the cmos password. You could also try removing the cmos battery completely for a minute or so, this should clear your password. Be prepared to enter the bios and re-input all the correct information.<br><br> <p> fenris<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> I am interested in Mining Software, as well as Genetic Algorithms.

Thanks Ferris. It is the BIOS p/w.&nbsp;&nbsp;As far as I can tell, the only reference the website has about the problem is to contact them but then they want me to send it back and incur hefty charges. Pulling the CMOS battery (overnight) doesn't work.

On some older laptops, for instance Compaq LTE series, you were required to move a jumper to a different set of pins, boot the unit up until it cleared POST, shutdown, and put the jumper back to clear the Cmos password. Not sure if Gateway may be similar, but open it up and look around for a jumper to try.<br><br><br><br>dxd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back