Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gateway Laptop Freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

nettamer

MIS
Mar 17, 2002
US
I have got a Gateway 600 laptop that suddenly does nothing on boot up. Before this the only thing wrong was that the battery recently no longer hold a charge.

When the power is turned on, the harddisk is not even accessed, the LCD shows nothing on the screen, not even any basic BIOS information. I tried to get the DVD tray to open by pushing the open button but that did not work either.

The fan is the only that shows any sign of life, it kept working until I power off by pushing on the power button for a few seconds. Can anyone tell me what to check? Thanks.

Have you tried removing the battery and booting up straight from the A/C adapter? I had a laptop do that when the battery was completely discharged. Let us know.

re-seat all hardware you can (memory, hard disk, netcards anything that is accessable from underneathe the laptop)

Thanks Budley, Westredd.

Budley is a genius, that's exactly what happened. I removed the battery, used only the AC adapter, and it boots up just fine. Must have drained totally.

Is there any thing I can do to rehab the battery or is it toasted for good?

Also, I used this laptop as a workstation, should I leave the battery out and only put in when traveling? Does this helps prolong battery life? Thanks again.

Glad to hear it's up again. As to the battery, if it isn't charging normally, you're probably better off purchasing a replacement.

As to the storage, it depends on the type. Some like to be off the charger when not being used. Some prefer it. I leave mine in all the time as and have had no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back