Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gateway has no display

Status
Not open for further replies.

nag83

Technical User
Jul 23, 2002
US
I have a gateway system with a pentium 3 slot 1 500mhz and I tried to upgrade the memory and video card and then I stopped getting a display. I removed the memory and video card and put back the old video card and there is still no display. I replaced the motherboard with one that is exactly the same and still nothing. Power comes on cd-roms and hard drives turn on but there is no display. can somebody please tell me if the processor might be broken or what it might be? Also replaced memory with new memory and still no display.

You didn't mention "drivers"; did you install the correct drivers for the new video card and remove the old drivers?? "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

Actually it gave me no display once I put the card in the motherboard. I never had a chance to add any drivers. I think that the power supply might have shocked the processor except I'm not sure how because there was no overclocking involved. just for reference its a 200w power supply and a Geforce 4 card. I think thats why it might have shocked the cpu.

Thanks for the info, but the problem still remains. I bought a pci video card and that won't even get a display. It could of course be the bios but if there's nothing in the agp slot then it should look in the pci and it still won't give me a display. I've looked but haven't found anything about this being a bad cpu but I have a feeling that thats whats wrong with it. Thanks for all the help though. gotta go buy a new cpu. :(

Try the monitor on another PC to rule it out, but sounds like your PC won't even post. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back