Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gateway F11 Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredmaine

MIS
Mar 12, 2009
US
I have a Gateway about 2 years old, which has a recovery partition (D:) and will perform a complete system restore by hitting F11 on boot-up.

When purchased, I had two drives installed and RAID 1 set up, which was factory installed and configured.

Does anyone know, if I use F11 and choose to format the C: drive and re-install the OS ... will RAID be preserved or at least re-configured, since I purchased it that way?

Fred

Well if it has hardware raid, the array should remain intact during the system restore. Most raid setups are hardware and setup in the controllers bios,which can be accessed with a key combo at post. May have to hit tab or esc to get behind the gateway splash screen to see the combo. If on the other hand, they just used windows to setup the mirror, than no it won't retain the array information and the mirror will need to be enabled after the restore is complete.

Thanks - I checked CMOS and the RAID was listed there as enabled. I hadn't even thought of looking there. I agree, it should survive the restore, which I assume is going to format drive C: and reinstall a clean OS with original drivers etc.
Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back