Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

gateway addr assignment to the dial-in users with contivity????

Status
Not open for further replies.

eksantrik

Technical User
Dec 13, 2005
US
Hi guys,

we have a contivity 1100 here. We set our DHCP server as the IP source for the remote dial-in users and it works partially fine. Remote users are able get an IP address from our DHCP server but we can't push the default gateway option info to the dial-in users..They can only get their IP address and they use it as the default gateway, too.
We use these remote user accounts for management and when they dont have the default gateway info, they are pretty much unable to get to the every single point of the network. I have been trying to set the internal DHCP setting of the contivity but it doesnt work for some reason.Can anyone tell me how it is done with the internal DHCP settings.maybe I am missing something..
(or any other ways to do the same thing)

thanks

The gateway is not your problem. What does your network look like? what parts of the network can the users not get to? This is most likely a routing or forwarding issue.

Are you trying to get to other Branch Office or Dial up connections controlled by the 1100? If so did you enable "tunnel to tunnel" forwarding?

What you are seeing is correct. The address from the DHCP server will also be the gateway. The VPN box will proxy arp on behalf of the client. If you are having routing problems from the client to your internal network, make sure you setup a "private gateway" address.

First of all, thanks for the responses,

I have my private gateway configured already..

In our network we have a nortel 8600 as the distribution switch and 5520 baystacks as the acccess switches connected to the 8600...
In all 5520s the ip routing is enabled and they all have their IP addresses..
We have a contivity box connected to the same 8600 box for internet connection and remote dial-in users...
We are trying to use to set up a remote dial-in user account that we want to use for management purposes so we want to be able to reach everywhere in the network when we dial in...
As I said, when we dial in we get an IP address from the DHCP server which is connected to one of the 5520s that is connected to 8600...We are able to connect to most of the boxes but not all of them when we dial-in via the contiviry box.
(by the way I also tried that tunnel to tunnel forwarding thing, I enabled all three options but didnt work)
The addresses that I am having trouble with, are all reachable from the 8600 box...The same 8600 box is also configured as the private default gateway for our contivity box...
any ideas?

Sounds like you have a routing issue. Is rip turned on between the 8600 and the private interface of the contivity.
Does the 5520 route table know how to get to the Contivity network? It should have a route entry if it is routing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back