Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Garbled pdf output

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
We run Win 98 throughout our office, with the exception of
two computers which have been updated to Win 2000.

These computers have the newest Acrobat Reader and Acrobat
Reader plugins installed on both.

Our problem: pdf files which display correctly in the
browser are scrambled when printed. When we download the
the pdf files and print them directly from the reader we
still have the same problem.

Here is sample of what we get:

Notice that words have been incorrectly divided.

Any ideas???

Hi

What fonts have been used to create the PDF? It looks like the reader is trying to substitute the font - badly. You may need to create the PDF with fonts embedded. Derren
[The only person in the world to like Word]

Hmmmm...can you specify what printer you are using?

Various things come to the top of my head...Most of which are based on determining if the problem lies with the file(s) or the printer (or printer drivers).

[ul][li]Does this occur when printing all pdf's or just certains ones?[/li]
[li]Have you tried printing the suspect pdf's on another printer? If so, what was the result?[/li]
[li]Did you create the pdf's? If so, did you embed all fonts...subset fonts? Are any of the fonts used copyrighted?Were there any unusal errors received during creation?[/li]
[li]Have you tried using different printer settings? Print as image maybe?[/li]
[li]What compatability settings were used during creation? Level 2, level 3?

Thanks to Derren and JusFire.

This is one of a myriad of state forms we must deal with on
a daily basis. They are created not by us, but by several
state agencies and vary greatly in choice of fonts, compatability
levels, etc.

The document summary:

The font list:

The pdf file:

I can successfully print this form, but it is one of a growing
number of state documents my co-workers can only print as
an "image". They can print other pdf documents normally,
and I suppose they can continue to print this one as an
"image".

It would be nice, however, to understand the problem with
this and similar state documents, if possible.

It has been years since I've done any document creation
( Acrobat 3.0 ), so my memory of font issues is very foggy.

The printer is an HP4.

Thanks for your help.

Ah, it is your fonts, alas. To get around this you will need to have matching fonts installed on your machines. This is going to become a pain for you unless you can request the fonts be embedded in the document.

Ironically the PDF also conatins the font myriad - what are the chances of that?

If you have the full version of acrobat you could always print all the documents to file and redistill them on your machine with fonts embedded. Best I can offer under the circumstances I am afraid. At least you will then only need to have the fonts on one machine. Derren
[The only person in the world to like Word]

I first must say that your links to actual views of the output and the pdf are wonderful.

I know dealing with pdf forms is a time saver...but when they are created by other people and you have problems with them, they can be a headache.

Have you check to see if the suspect font, which I believe to be Adobe Type 1 Font - Garamond-LightCondensed, is installed in the workstations not printing correctly? If it is not, I would install it and print it again (not as image). The reason I believe the suspect font is Garamond-LightCondensed is because the sample gif displayed contains just the lower portion of the form.

Installing the font may or may not solve the problem, but it's worth a try.

One other thing I forgot to ask...which workstations are not printing correctly? The Win98, Win2K, both???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back