Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Garbled Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sottini

Technical User
Oct 12, 2002
GB
Hi, I've just installed Win2000 for the first time and I'm having a real problem with my display.
All the correct drivers have been installed, and the refresh rates for my monitor set. I have 128mb of video memory and a PnP tft monitor. I am running 384mb ram with a BRAND NEW 125Gb hdd. I have the most recent updates for my bios as well.
Now the crunch:
If I do a normal boot, I get a totally unreadable screen when windows gets to the log-in screen.
I can boot in VGA mode, change drivers and settings etc., but when I reboot normally, I still get a garbled display at the same point.
Now I've discovered debugging mode! Everything works fine in debugging mode, I run at 1024 resolution, my modem works etc., etc.. The only trouble is I can't find the cause of the problem.
If I reboot and choose Last known good configuration, I get a garbled screen again!

Could somebody please put me in the right direction??

Thanks

Well, It's been a couple of weeks and noone can answer this query??? I'm astounded!
I have since found out myself that the problem lies within the ATA settings. The highest win2k can support is mode4 but my hdd is mode5. Hitachi claim that this will be fine under win2k with SP3 which is what I'm running, but I can't seem to force it to another mode.
It is in position 0 on my IDE channels.
The Hitachi FTool fix program won't detect ANY of my drives as it says it cannot run under NTFS....

Could SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back