Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gantt Chart View vs. Tracking Gantt View 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEPM

Technical User
Jun 9, 2012
Hi Group,

Why does Gantt Chart View vs. Tracking Gantt views have radically different views? Also, why does one need individual headers & footers between to the 2 different style views?

I'm desperately trying to show the planned vs. actual project plan, but every time I adjust a date, it gives me something that I don't want!!

I have some dates that should be fixed because those tasks were already completed while others I'm trying to complete by a specified target date. A momentarily have desired dates in, but if I modify another task, it's radically changing it. I expect this a little bit, but not an additional year, which sometimes the results I'm getting.

Thanks

Hello,

Generally, the only radical difference between the Gantt chart and Tracking Gantt is the format of the task bars. In the Tracking Gantt view, the baseline bars are visible and the progress lines are drawn against the current task bars. Each view has different headers and footers. What else are you seeing.

Regarding "I'm desperately trying to show the planned vs. actual project plan, but every time I adjust a date, it gives me something that I don't want!!"

The purpose of Project is to create schedules. If you are adjusting task dates, and those tasks are linked (predecessor or successor) to other tasks, they adjust as well. It is tough to go much further as you are not specific about what you are changing and what you don't want.

Regarding: "I have some dates that should be fixed because those tasks were already completed"...
If the tasks are complete, mark them 100% complete and ensure the Actual Start and Actual Finish are accurate.

Regarding: "others I'm trying to complete by a specific targeted date" - try setting a deadline or constraint of Finish No Later than. I would start with deadlines.

As far as dates changing by as much as a year -- it's impossible for me to tell what is going on without further information, and likely seeing the file. Resource leveling will change dates, as will calendar changes for both tasks and resources.

Give us more information and we'll try to be more helpful.

Julie

Hi Julie,

Thanks for providing feedback. One of the problems that I'm having with my Gantt chart or WBS is my durations or dates are drastically changing, particularly in areas that I would not expect.

For example, I'll have a "great looking" project plan at the beginning of the project & establish my baseline. With this, I'm have the planned start & finish dates, along with milestones. Now, when I add in the Actual date, it's changing past or future planned durations - Sometimes drastically & even in a few instances - A full year! I expect some date duration changes, but not to this extreme.

If I could upload a file, I would provide an example.

Design Engineer Project Manager (DEPM)

There is something amiss. Setting an actual start date for a task may change the start and finish dates of other tasks, but should not be changing durations. Your files do not seem to show anything.

What version of Project?

Julie

Hi Julie,

I attempted to upload a file the other day, but for some reason, cannot. I don't see how to upload files here.

As for my project plan files, through MS Project 2007, I start off with a general project plan, which may have a series tasks, all with the same durations & planned start & finish dates. Basically, I don't care which order the tasks gets completed, as long as they being worked within the defind planned duration. In the Actual Date completion column, I enter the that date. In some instances, that's affecting or changing my planned durations, even though the Actual Completion date is well within the planned duration.

In other instances, it may also be affecting my other project planned durations. I wish I could showw the file.

Thanks

If you wish to compare your planned dates to the actual dates, you need to compare the Baseline Start to Actual Start and Baseline Finish to Actual Finish. Save a baseline before applying any tracking and I would suggest applying the Tracking table. Enter Actual Start and Actual Finish (if the task is complete) or Actual Start + Actual Duration and Remaining Duration.

The purpose of saving a baseline is to preserve the planned data (start, finish, duration, work, cost) for comparison.

I hope this helps.

Hi Julie,

Are baselines modifiable? I do use baselines but I either because I forget to save one or establish a bit late into the project, such as being 1/4 to 1/2 way already into the project, then establish it.

Additionally, with the group I manage, they are often highly indecisive & often change plans (sometimes the next day). The majority of these changes are justifiable for the most part, but does definitely with the planned durations or onto the target date.

In this instance, we had a target date, but it was evident later (1/2) to the initially proposed target date that either some "major" deliverables were not thought of (thoroughly) or "it was just determined" that Task X would take another month or some extended duration.

As you may see, it's difficult to manage these projects & I either need better tools to manage them (through MS Project &/or Excel) or learn how to use them better.

What are you suggestions?

Hi,

Yes, you may have several baselines (up to 11) in Project. By default Project calculates variance against the "Baseline" but you can modify that and calculate against any other baseline.

Given your scenario, here's what I would do.

When you have the original plan that everyone has initially signed off on -- save a baseline through Tools, Tracking Set Baseline. If the baseline needs to change - copy the existing baseline into Baseline1 using the Tools, Tracking, Set Baseline Save interim plan. Then re-baseline. You will "lose" any variances against the original baseline as it will copy the current data. You can keep this up as many as 11 times.

You may also baseline just selected tasks. If you are working more with a rolling wave - select the initial phase tasks and baseline just those. Then as you progress and you are now ready to start the second phase or iteration, select just those tasks and baseline.

As you track your data will change - your Start will equal Actual Start, Duration will equal Actual Duration etc. It is the baseline that has your original data.

I hope this helps.
Julie

@Julie

I've been reading a number of your posts in various threads. You have been giving consistently excellent advice ... you're a real asset here.

In this particular thread, I thought your comment about a "rolling wave" was an especially subtle understanding of the environment in which the original poster may well be working in.

The only additional advice I can offer is to suggest that perhaps DEPM could introduce a change management process to throttle/curtail the constant changes. IF DEPM can get his/her manager "on side" then there could be some push back by the PM department to the change originators -- perhaps along the lines of requiring a management approval of the schedule modification(s) or (and I have seen this done) a one-day or two-day charge back to the initiating department simply for evaluating the impact of the schedule/deliverable change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back