Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

gaming problems... direct X 8.0??

Status
Not open for further replies.

estesflyer

Programmer
Dec 19, 2000
US
for some reason...
i try to play Unreal Tournament for the first time, but it always gives me an error, same with dues x and MDK2.
Also, whenever i try to get into the 2nd level of THIEF2, it justs closes the game, and goes back to windows... ALWAYS!
and this other game i have (intensity XS) runs EXTREMELY laggy!
Think it may have anything to do with direct x 8.0?
Never had problems like this in Windows ME

possibly the graphics card?

TIA - Rusty

I am using DirectX 8.1, and I don't experience this problem - but I don't use either of these games. I have seen a similar problem in the past, when running graphics-intensive games or demos; I believe my problems were heat related.

I recommend ensuring that all your cards are properly seated (they can work loose due to the expansion/contraction properties of materials when heated and cooled). If you have a way of monitoring the temperature of your CPU, you can find out if the problem is heat related. If so, you can look in the many overclocker forums for clues on the best way to alleviate the heat.

W2K is somewhat less forgiving than W98 when it encounters anything not exactly as it expects.

Sorry I can't be any more specific.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

If you can, type the exact errors you are getting with unreal and such. That will help me look into this

well, the intensity XS game runs perfectly fine now that i've installed the latest mainboard drivers....

i haven't reinstalled the games yet though...

One problem, in theif 2, the game will exit out, without any warnings or anything whenever i enter level 2.

It says "loading" and then it goes back to windows.

Any ideas as to what migth cause that?

TIA

- Rusty

compatability with Win2k, go to microsoft.com and download the latest compatability update.

what do you mean compatibiliy update? I downloaded service pack 2 already, i still need to download more?

TIA

- Rusty

could it possibly be irq sharing/conflicts?

I checked, and apparently my nvidia riva tnt2 m/64 is sharing with my network card, my sblive x-gamer, my 56 k modem, along with two of these: "VIA USB universal host controller."

Might that have anything to do with it? And if so, how can i split em all up so they have their own irq? That is, if necessary...

TIA

- Rusty

click windows update in the start menu. Then in the list of items on microsoft's site, there is a compatability update (mostly for games)

apparently, i've already installed it. I must have done so when I installed service pack two.

I tried to run soldier of fortune on windows 2k pro and in the read me file it said that it would not work with the nvidia riva tnt2 m64 .It actually gave a list of video cards that windows 2k pro would not be compatible with?

I am running Win2k SP2 w/ DX8.0 with no problems in UT, Dues Ex, MDKII and others. I was orginally running a TNT II, but recently switched to a GeeForce II MX, neither were problematic. I would suggect reinstalling DX 8, I have had updates not work correctly in Win9x, although I haven't seen this happen in Win2k. You may also try the latest Detonator drivers from nVidia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back