Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Games won't run on XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shep6

Programmer
May 4, 2001
GB
Hi there

I have just installed Windows XP Pro (a clean installation). I have updated all my drivers, my system is Athlon 1gig
512mb ram
Hercules 3d Propher 4500 Kyro 2 graphics.
Gigabyte 7ZXR M/B (updated with latest drivers)

Everything is fine with Win XP until I run certain games, I have tried Q3, RTCW, Medal of Honor and Black & White. Each time I start the game the screen goes blank then I get the good old blue screen (thought I'd left these behind with WIN98).

The message I get tells me to update my BIOS (done this), try disabling BIOS Shadowing and Caching (anyone know how to do this, can't find any reference to it in my BIOS settings). I then get the line:

STOP: 0x0000008E (0x80000003, 0x80581b48, 0xF7065bdc, 0x00000000)
Beginning dump of physical memory.

Then the computer restarts.

Can anyone help me out with this one (before I re-install Win98!!!).

cheers

Before you go back to win98. I do not have a solution as of yet. but I have run Q3, Medal of Honor fine. These games do work, just wait to see if someone on here has a idea of what to do. I have had this error before and it turned out to be my hard drive was damaged....good luck

CS

If it helps, I have sucessfully run B&W as well as RTCW Beta, Dark Age of Camelot, Thief II, Dungeon Keeper II, Darklands (circa 1993 game), Tropico, Fallout: Tactics, and others.

I had a memory/data loss problem when I clocked my RAM at 2100 from 1600 due to heat (and crappy RAM); turned it down to 1600 and all is stable. I currently run with my case open and use an Alpha PAL HSF with 80mm Delta fan, and my rig runs at ~87 degrees F. I also do not use a Kyro but a Gainward GF3Ti500, and I do use an Epox 8KHA+ mobo. WinXP Pro, clean install. I have other weird problems but no crashing.

Your BIOS options you are allowed to tweak depend entirely on your mobo. I would try setting to defaults/safe setting if you have one, and check your temp. The silicon does heat up when under load, perhaps it's your Kyro overheating. Also check to see if your PCI slots are sharing and move cards around so you don't have anyone sharing IRQs.

Hope that helps...

Another usual suspect is graphics drivers/firmware, if you have not already thought of that.

I have an ASUS A7A266 an AMD 1700+, 384Megs 133mhz SDRAM and a Radeon 8500 with Windows XP Pro Corporate Edition. I constantly am changing settings trying to tweak the best performance out of my video card without resorting to overclocking. Well I was having problems all of the sudden running 3DMark 2001 successfully. It kept hanging up or giving the I don't know what the heck happened memory dump error or errors in particular files. But it would still run Windows fine and no real problems to speak of in games. However I still had the problem with the 3D benching utility. Anyway I have a setting in my BIOS for ECC on my L2 cache. It was enabled, I disabled it and now it runs perfect. Don't know exactly why but that was it. That's the only thing I can suggest.

I posted a message about a blue screen of death a few days ago, but I was getting it when trying to install XP. However, the reply I got might help you out.

It seems that if XP doesn't have the native drivers that are needed to run your motherboard, and what's on it, then you will encounter problems. So goto your motherboard's website and download all the XP stuff you think you might need... hope this helps.

So is the general opinion that you can run most games on Win XP? ________________________________________

The Collective known as
The UK Alliance

Ok to keep it short, my specs:
duron 700 / asus a7v / 512mb pc133 / 40gb ibm deskstar 7200rpm udma100 / soundblaster live 5.1 oem / Abit Siluro T400 gf2mx400 64mb agp / 16x liteon burner / 16x pioneer dvd-rom /

I run XP as well, and am able to play EVERY game I've tried even the old OLD ones. I did have BSOD problems, but managed to fix that by flashing my bios to an older version (yes older.. was running beta bios before) and it seems a lot of people have had the same problem. So, you might want to flash your bios to the latest version as well, of BOTH your videocard and motherboard.

BUT BEWARE!! THIS SHOULD NOT BE DONE BY INEXPERIENCED PEOPLE! If you can, get your store to do it for you... THen if they mess it all up it's their problem. You do not want to mess your bios up, that's a real hassle to get that fixed again...

I have XP and a 3d Prophet 4500 64 meg driver 14.028 and it's work Fine.

Just give your specification: as driver

OK Don't go back to 98 I can help

Right click on a short cut for the game

Then click on the compatibility tab

Then select win98 compatibility

or what ever OS

Good Luck
LT

WIn XP is really good just give it a chance

Thanks for all your views on this guys. In the end I chose to re-install WinXp from scratch, but the only difference this time was I chose to format my drive FAT32 instead of NTFS.

Don't know if this was the cause or simply something had got corrupted after my first install, but everthing seems to be running fine now.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back