Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GAMES LAG, IM DESPERATE HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtpunky

Technical User
Jun 1, 2002
US
I am really angry and confused about this problem. All my games lag on my recently FORMATED computer. All programs run fine, but when it comes to games, THEY LAG!!

MY SPECS-
933 Intel 3 processor
768 RAM
Geforce 3 128 MB
WINDOWS XP

I have tried upgrading drivers, reformating, defragmenting, and closing all programs in backround. But I still can't solve problem.

PLEASE IF THERE IS ANYONE OUT THERE WITH AN IDEA THAT WOULD BE GREAT!!!

Thanx :)

Try the games troubleshooter at this site.

See if you have unnecessary services running in the background slowing you down.

These links might give you some information too.

Thanx, these links were great. I followed all of the tweaking steps on the second link. My computer looks a lot crapier, yet it is not running games any better.

Im still wondering what to do.

To further troubleshoot, do this.

Go to start, Run, and type in dxdiag . Let it load (may take awhile). When it's done, click on the display tab on the top. There should be some buttons near the bottom half of the screen. DirectDraw, Direct3D, and AGP Texture Accelleration (I have a geforce 3 as well). Make sure they are enabled. If they all say they are enabled, do the test on the right hand side for directdraw and direct3d. Report back here with your findings.

All tests were sucessfull.
Anyother tips?

when i run DXDIAG and look at my computer specs. What is PAGE FILE? It says 66 mb used, 160 available. COuld this mean anything?

when i run DXDIAG and look at my computer specs. What is PAGE FILE? It says 66 mb used, 660 available. COuld this mean anything?

Type "Pagefile" in the Help and Support program search box for information.

When your computer is running low on random access memory (RAM) and more is needed to complete your current task, Windows uses hard drive space to simulate system RAM. In Windows, this is known as virtual memory, and often called the pagefile.

It might be time to seek technical help with your hardware to solve your games problem. Have you tried to see what happens (speed-wise) running them in Safe Mode.

There also is a site you can check out to see if any of your games cause problems under XP.

This article might be useful to you also.

HOW TO: Set Performance Options (Q308417)

Right click game icon and then advanced or compatability mode and have it run in W98/ME compatability mode.

What type of motherboard/system do you have? Is it necessary for you to install the Via 4-in-1 chipset drivers (including the AGP driver)? How about going to the manufacturer of your mobo, and seeing if they have XP chipset drivers. This made all the difference when I had a tyan mobo that needed via drivers.. especially the AGP driver

Thanx for all the help!!! I really apreaciate it. If there is any more ideas to through out that would be great. I will give results of my efforts to fix computer soon.

Firewalls Firewalls Firewalls (ZoneAlarm, ICS, etc...) disable them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back