Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Game not running since processor and XP upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckbl3

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
I recently went from a Intel 1.5 Ghz processor to a Intel 2.4 Ghz. I also upgraded from Win Me to XP Home. After this I noticed that my Need For Speed:High Stakes would not start up. I created a dual boot system and used Win98SE as the other operating system. I then tested the game once more. Same problem, it will not boot. This tells me that it is the processor. Not that there is a problem with the processor but with the game having problems running on it. Any ideas or as anyone heard of a game not running on a processor because it does not recognize it or that it is to fast? The game is 3 years old. According to technical support from the manufacture it should work.

Is this the original High Stakes? If so, it may indeed have a problem with the higher speed of the P4. There are also programs on the net that slow your processor speed to be more compatible woth older programs. Do a Google search or check some of the gaming sites. :) If you're alive, it's a good day!

i purchased Jungle Strike (by Electronic Arts) and it never ran On my AMD Athlon 650 because it wasnt an INtel CPU also (i even bought the game twice because i thought the disk was bad...) Need for Speed is also an Electronic Arts game... go figure. -Nate

Well I got it figured down to the sound card or an issue with it. By turning the slider in DXDIAG (click RUN on the Start the taskbar and point to RUN. Type in DXDIAG.) all the way to the left (no acceleration) it ran in Win 98 but still can't get it to run in WinXP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back