Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gainward GeForce FX 5600

Status
Not open for further replies.

jthacker70

Technical User
Jul 8, 2003
US
i'm installing my video card into a ASUS a7v8x-x.. This is my first build and i ran into trouble. i'm running 98 and I installed the VIA 4-in-1 for the motherboard and all the drivers for the card.. At first it the computer reads the card as a standard PCI VGA card (or close to that). then I install the drivers for the GeForce and restart(When I installed the drivers it ask to install other programs such as expert bios, expert tool, directx 9, and other dumb stuff).. Everything is going good untill windows is about to show the desktop.. Windows now pops up a blue screen.. fatal exception 08 and blah blah.. then it locks up.. I can run in safe mode and go fine.. except 16 colors and low res.. I have uninstalled... reinstalled.. took the card out...tried installing with the extra programs and without.. i'm out of ideas... I don't believe it is the card either.. I got it to work once.. but once I restarted.. it gave me display adapter errors..
sorry for the lenghty question.. but i'm not sure what to do

update......now instead of giving me a blue screen.. it says something like windows protection.. please restart system..

try installing a different OS like xp with has better support for the new cards.

yea.. i thought that too... but i'm cheap and don't feel like spending 80 bucks on xp.. but i guess i'll have too unless i can figure out a way to get 98 to work with the card...

windows 98 is not designed to run Direct X 9.I have a 5600 also and this vidoe requires DX 9 to run properly...Upgrade to at least Windows ME or preferably XP and your issues will be resolved...In a nut shell you either need a video card that runs DX 8 or lower or a newer operating system..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back