Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gah!! Assemblies can be viewed as plain text?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmille34

Programmer
Sep 14, 2005
US
WTF?? I have database passwords hard coded into my project, but they can be viewed as plain text using the assembly viewer??!? What can I do about that? Holy crap how did I not know about this already??

Simple fix: store your password as an array of ascii values

Slightly more complexe but safer fix: Run a code ofuscator like .Netfuscator to mutate all of the strings and names into unrecognizable characters.

-Rick

VB.Net Forum forum796 forum855 ASP.NET Forum
[monkey]I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

Reflector is probably the best of the assembly viewers.

But yes, this has been known since .net's release. Ordinary executables can also be sent to a text editor to view embedded strings (been that way since DOS v1.0, if not before).

Chip H.

You could also store your database connection strings in a config file...just encrypt it, and have your code decrypt it when it gets read in (.NET 2.0 has this functionality built in).

D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back