Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ga-8IE and p4 2.40B 533FSB

Status
Not open for further replies.

pulpulaator

Technical User
Feb 14, 2003
EE
Hi
I'm trying to build a PC with Gigabytes GA-8IE and P4 2.40B 533FSB and have a problem. The PC hangs on post, sometimes during memory check, sometimes in bios, sometimes even before memory check. I have tried with different memory modules, with and without any disks, with different videocards and can not get it to work. At first, I assumed that the motherboard was faulty, changed it, no effect. Then changed processor, no effect. Tried MB with P4 1.6Gh, everything works fine. Can anyone tell me, what else can be wrong?

Specs:
Pentium 4 2.40B 533 system bus
Gigabyte GA-8IE
Viking ATX-300
512MB PC2700
Nvidia Geforce4 MX 440
WD Caviar 80GB

Are all connections secure and correct?

Are all fans running?

Did you apply thermal compound between the CPU and its heatsink?

Did you clear CMOS either with a MB jumper or by removing the CMOS battery for at least 30 minutes? (Make sure the power cord is disconnected from the case before doing this)

Is the P4 2.4GHz CPU properly configured in BIOS?

Did you remove and reinsert the memory a few times, or try it/them in different slots?

Does your power supply module have enough watt capacity?

Did you try reducing the memory's frequency in BIOS?

Did you try increasing the memory's voltage a notch in BIOS?

If there's more than one RAM module, did you try installing just one?

The one thing that I have found is that for some reason, certain mother boards will not work very well with these high end video adaptors.

Try putting in a low end video card.

Do P4 1.6's use 533 FSB because this worked you said. Make sure you're using the motherboard that you think you are- According to the Gigabyte website there are: GA-8IE533, GA-8IEXP, GA-8IEX, GA-8IEMK, GA-8IEML-T

Make sure you have the jumper's set correctly.

Tnx for reply.

Well I'll try to answer to some of your questions
Connections are secure and correct, in fact I tried different HDD's with different cabels and even without any disks at all (no HDD, FDD or CD). Nothing different.
Fans are OK.
Yes, I used Arctic Silver.
I cleared CMOS. (one thing: this motherboard had no jumper in CMOS "normal mode". Is this correct? Anyway, I tried with and without "normal" jumper).
In this BIOS there are possibilities to load "Top Performance Defaults", witch does not work at all, and "Load Fail-Safe Defaults" thet works about 10 seconds longer.
I used 1 memory 512MB PC2700 and other that was 256MB in all three slots, but that makes no differents. I tried to change memory settings in BIOS, but it hangs before in can be saved. And "Fail-Safe defaults" should use minimum configuration I think.
Power supply says it's output is 300W max.
I used very low end video card, in fact it is S3 PCI card, but again it did not help.
P4 1.6 uses 400FSB, and works fine. And the MB is GA-8IE, I'm sure of that. There are no jumpers at all on this MB.
Please tell me am I missing something? Overlooked something? Anything will help.
Thanx!

"I used 1 memory 512MB PC2700 and other that was 256MB in all three slots"

Check your MB's memory specs.
The Gigabyte site states that the GA-81E MB is designed to use either PC1600 or PC2100 DDR memory, and not PC2700.

P4 1.6 uses 400FSB
My point exactly - in your first post, you said this worked.

When you put in the 2.4Mhz processor, did you change the FSB to 533? If not by jumpers, then in the CMOS settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back