Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GA-7ZXR + New larger drive not showing all space

Status
Not open for further replies.

kernow

Technical User
Oct 1, 2002
GB
I've got a Gigabyte GA-7ZXR mobo which originally had a single Maxtor 40Gb drive attached.
I've just added a 60Gb Seagate Barracuda drive but it is only showing up as 40Gb.
I've not configure the RAID option via BIOS that I'm aware of. Checking the drives via BIOS they are both set to "user" and 40020 and 40027Gb respectively.
I've tried changing this to AUTO but it won't hold the setting even after "save and exit" from bios, and have also had a look with disk management (I'm on XP Pro) and Partition Magic to no avail.
Any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

It is possible that your motherboard will require it's bios flashing to the latest type in order to recognise the larger drive. Martin Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

what paparazi said.

Honestly sounds like another case of bios not able to read rest of drive, happens with lots of mobos over, say, 2 yrs old and older.

Thanks - got the latest BIOS flash from Gigabyte which has done the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back