Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

G650 registered to ESS within 20 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

guozq1972

Programmer
Mar 9, 2004
CN
I have a S8710 main server in a city,and a S8710 in another city. And 4 2M WAN lines between the 2 citys. I have setup 3 minutes in the 'system ess'form. Question is when one of the 2M links breakdown, the G650 will registered to Ess server within 20 seconds. But every thing is OK in LAN test ,when I unplug the uplink-LAN-cable of the switch that ESS sever and remote G650 connected to ,the G650 will goto ESS server until the 3 minutes expired.
I have the CM 3.1.1, IPSI, CLan all upgraded.

Any suggestion will be appreciate.

Did you ever figure this out? I have the same problem...

Thanks!

run a continuous ping from the linux prompt of the remote ESS server to the ESS control server and unplug the uplink... see if the ping times out when you unplug the uplink... remember the main thing is for the remote IPSI to loose connectivity to its control network, only then will the IPSI look for an alternate controler.

1ce,

My ESS is set to takeover after 4 minutes. I tested this during the install about 6 months ago. First attempt, somehow all the translations got wiped out. 2nd attempt it worked as it should and took over everything normally.

I've got two paths between sites. The primary - a "giant laser" line of site about 1/2 block away and secondary fiber connection.

Main site S8700's. Remote site G650 & ESS. When there is an outage over that laser link - even for a few seconds, it fails to ESS, meanwhile the rest of the data network stays up fine.

Yes I could do your test, but I already know it fails over too soon. Do you know of any solution to prevent this or send it over the secondary connection first before ESS kicks in?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Toni

Toni269, did you find solution for this problem? I have the same problem right now :(

No, sorry, I didn't do the test that was recommended by "1ce" because I already know how it's going to work. Like you - need to find the problem then a solution!

Toni269, what is thee firmware version of the IPSI?
look at note in 31 version:
IPSI port networks would sometimes fail over to an ESS server before the no-service-timer expired.

so i upgrade my ipsi, and now wait :)

IPSI 1 Main Site TN2312BP HW12 FW022 (FW 36 Upgrade Planned)
IPSI 2 Main Site TN2312BP HW14 FW022 (FW 36 Upgrade Planned)
IPSI ESS Site TN2312BP HW12 FW030 (FW 36 Upgrade Planned)

does this have anything to do with the MG-Recovery rule?

What is MG-Recovery rule?
All I'm aware of is the no service time out rule (set to 4 mins)

ch sys mg, there you can set up the rule by which the gateway recovers from LSP. once the rule has been set up, you have to change media-ga X & put the recovery rule number that you set up. by default the gateways are set for 2 minutes

In my case the ESS is covering for a Port Network. As far as I know in my version CM 3.0 there is no "automatic" recovery available for the switch that is registering to the ESS. My hunch is that this problem lies within the IPSI of the switch that is not waiting the proper amount of time before failing over.

I checked my MG rules and they are all blank.

Heeey now - don't be sorry! I could be VERY wrong! I appreciate any/all help, feedback and ideas. I learned something new today (MG rules!) So THANK YOU!

No, mg-recovery not for port networks :)
Tony269 i upgrade my firmware to FW31 and this is resolve my problem.

Sweet. Ok, I'm scheduled to go to another companies site on Friday to do about 40 firmware upgrades. After I learn a thing or two (haven't done the MM boards yet), I'll be doing mine possibly this weekend or next, I probably have about 20-25 between 3 sites to upload. I only have experience in upgrading the C-Lan & Medpro firmware so I wasn't ready to jump into the IPSI upgrade when it came out last month. It's great to know that this will solve the issue. I'll let you know how it goes!

Toni269, it's very easy to upgrade firmware on IPSI
first you download new firmware to IPSI (from WeB interface). And by just one click you can download firmware to all IPSI's (it is not service interrupt) :)

After by just one click you can activate this firmware or schedule it (by just one click). It is service interrupt for about 3-4 minutes.

Ahh, good to know. I have the C-Lan method mastered, I could do it in my sleep, but I saw some instructions, about 150 pages of technical instructions that included accessing the TFTP server, login & domain info, I tried the easy click method on another board and it failed. I can be caught spending waaaaaaay too much time diving into this stuff, so I'm holding off to visit my friends site, they have a genuine, real life Avaya tech coming on site to do their upgrades and once I get all the secret sauce from him, I'll breeze through mine and if I'm successful and have time I'll put togeter some FAQ's. Mainly I'm stumped on the MM boards right now with questions on if the ESS needs the DST patches or if they get pushed from the 8710's ect...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back