Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

G450 with PRI - do I have SIP support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvalpreda

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2008
US
Going to start by saying this is a system that was inherited and I know very little about it, so pardon the use of incorrect terms or anything else that makes me sound dense. I'm a network guy and try to leave telephony to those experts!

We have a G450 chassis that is working fine. 100% on IP based phones (~300 9608G and 9611G handsets and 4x MP80s installed) and currently have (I believe) a PRI into the device. Building is moving soon and the carrier at the new building (Lumen) does not/will not deliver a PRI - at least not natively. Being told in order to do a PRI we have to have SIP into an Adtran 908e which can automagically output a PRI to our G450. Lumen will supply and configure the Adtran 908e - to the tune of about $4,000 all in.

I'm trying to get a straight answer out of my current telephony vendor if what we have supports SIP. They say it does, but might need licenses....and we should just move to a whole new server-based system. I would be fine with that, if the quote wasn't nearly 90k. Management is not going to entertain that right now.

I'm looking for an unbiased answer if the system we have does or does not support SIP. If it does, do I need a license? Do I maybe have a license already in there? If I need a license, can they be purchased? Is there a command I can run to show the licenses installed?

The current telephony vendor did not install the device. That vendor/person was 3 network admins ago and their website/telephone number are dead.

Anyone in Southern California that works on these? ;)

Pay the $4k.

In slot 1, is there a S8300 model card? If so, that's a server that runs the call processor. It might be in VMware or on some other rackmount server.

You have a MM710 in there that's doing the PRI part.

The Avaya architecture has things broken out into different VMs. It might appear complicated at first, but it's enterprise architecture and there's a reason.

Whenever a system gets installed, there's usually an IP workbook and a column for what the thing is, hostname, IP, maybe passwords. Maybe post that column?

Avaya SBCE svrsbce.company.com 192.168.10.10

If you have System Manager and Session Manager and an SBC, then yes, it is SIP capable.
If you're running a current release, they gave a SBC trunk license for every 7 users. So, a 700 user system would have entitlements to run all the software and a SBC with up to 100 sessions.

If nobody's touched it in over a few years, then you probably have a small enterprise system that never got the big bells and whistles. Somewhere along the line, IP Office became the right fit for your size. That's presuming you're a single site with 300 users and not a branch of something bigger.

And if you're not on maintenance or anything and stuff goes funky, IP Office is the right fit if you still want to keep a premise based phone system and just pay for trunks. It can run on a VM or a small gateway and support all the phones you've got. It can also connect right to a SIP trunk, though that has to be licensed.

Thank you very much for the reply. I'm well out of my depth here with this system.

I guess knowing the equipment we have would be helpful.

1x G450 chassis
1x S8300 E V1
1x MM710

1x smaller chassis - white and 2U
1x S8300 D V4
1x MM710 (nothing plugged in)
1x MM711 Analog (don't think anything in use)
1x MM717 DCP (nothing plugged in)

I can get into the device either via web or telnet. There is no DNS entry for 'svrsbce'.

When I log in I see
Communication Manager (CM)
System Management Interface (SMI)

Clicked on Software version and see this:
Operating system: Linux 2.6.18-128.AV7iPAE i686 i686
Built: Jan 7 19:35 2012

Contains: 02.1.016.4
CM Reports as: R015x.02.1.016.4
CM Release String: S8300-015-02.1.016.4

UPDATES:
Update ID Status Type Update description
------------------------------- ------------ ------- ---------------------------
02.1.016.4-20790 activated cold pre-migration patch for cm5
02.1.016.4-21060 activated cold patch 21060 for 02.1.016.4

KERNEL-2.6.18-128.AV7i activated cold patch 2.6.18-128.AV7i for 0

SES Update ID Status Type Update description
------------------------------- ------------ ------- ---------------------------

Platform/Security ID Status Type Update description
PLAT-rhel4-1015 activated cold platform/security patch PLA

CM Translation Saved: 2022-01-16 22:00:07

CM License Installed: 2016-06-13 12:27:06

Messaging: --N5.2.1-13.0-------------

CM Memory Config: Standard

See this as well
CommunicaMgr License Mode: Normal
Network used for License: MGP
License Serial Number is XXX on MGP

Is there a command to show the licenses? Or maybe a command I can try that would only work if SIP was licensed?

svrsbce was just me making something up.

So, you're at CM 5.2. Current is R10. So, you're 4 versions behind (they skipped 9!)

No SIP.

Your licenses are in the CM application. Use putty, on port 22 type command sat and terminal type sunt

That's the management interface of the call server. display system customer is the command to show you what's licensed.

But, you're not putting SIP trunks on that thing.

And if you wanted to plan to replace it and keep the phones, buy an IP Office.

Actually, another thought...

Look for a IP Office partner in the area and get a quote to install one. There's at least the $4K you'd be able to roll into a new supported system, and keep all the phones, and get rid of that mystery of a CM you don't know anything about.

I'm sure there's lots of costs associated with moving. Maybe this rolls in.

This is $79 MSRP from a 2018 price book on page 217
IP OFFICE LICENSE RELEASE 6+ AVAYA IP ENDPOINT 1 LIC:CU

A simple IP Office for 300 people has to come it at a fraction of that $90K price. I'm not involved in the pricing game much and don't want to give you unrealistic expectations. but if you could add those 300 users @79 each giving the partner 37% margin per that old price list example, you're well under $30K, even if the price went up a bit, even with gateway and a maybe a VM for a fancy voicemail.

It's not a big jump to add iPhone/softphone users on it over the internet either.

And you're still probably talking about modernizing for a cost of $100/endpoint. And you don't have to buy new endpoints to get there - which are at least $100 each anyway.

As time goes on, the new avaya J100 series are supported on RingCentral, BroadSoft and other OpenSIP platforms, so over time the handsets get swapped and you can stay on IP Office if you like premise 1 time costs or be able to go to any number of cloud vendors without replacing all the handsets.

Last thing:

are you sure the CM SMI was on the S8300E and not the 8300D?

S8300E is the current hardware and I'm not sure it can run 5.2. It might in a pinch if you needed a replacement, but I'm wondering if you logged into the S8300D on the white gateway - probably a G700. It could run 5.2 and maybe you upgraded later.

Either way, you don't have the compute setup for SIP anyway, but you might still be running something later than 5.2 FWIW.

Thanks for that command. I got a PIN prompt, no idea what that is. So just another roadblock!

We have a nice server infrastructure here - 40Gb backbone, good switches, servers in a cluster, etc. I think a virtual IPO server makes the most sense if we stay the Avaya path.
I think I'm going to do the $4k device from Lumen and punt this down the road for a year or so. I'll start looking at other Avaya resellers to get a competitive quote on what this will cost. I'll probably also look at what a cloud migration will look like.

Honestly, I would be happy if this didn't survive the move! ;)

You can use that account on the webpage and make a privileged administrator account that can login without a PIN to see licenses.

Basically you are on an antique. You may want to simply get rid of the system and migrate to a hosted solution since you don't seem to have any digital/analog requirements. There are a variety of vendors out there for hosted solutions. Avaya Cloud Office/Ring Central is the Avaya version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back