Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

G450 Port Redundancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

uzumaki

Technical User
Aug 16, 2007
SG
I have configured port redundancy on my G450 and plugged it on 2 Cisco switches. I disable the spanning tree on my end. For a while it is ok, however for a few minutes the network starts to flap.

Can someone share their configuration on their Cisco switches for this issue?

Thanks in advance.

not sure disabling spanning tree would be the way I'd go - first I'd make sure what flavor of spanning tree your running... PVST+ is the default mode for catalyst cisco - so first of all...are you running seperate vlans on your cisco device? if so, what is the root bridge for the instance of spanning tree on those ports? "show span vlan 10" or "show span vlan 10 detail" - set the priority on the cisco to be lower than that of the 450 "spanning-tree vlan 10 priority XXXX"
2nd - steer which port in that uplink set of ports you want forwarding...set the port priority - use "show span interface FastE 1/15 detail" to find the priority then decide which one you want to put in the forwarding state and use the interface level command "spann vlan 10 cost 18" ( the default port cost on 100M interfaces is 19 and for Gig interfaces its 4 so a metric lower than that and STP will choose the port with the lowest port cost to put in forward state)

- on the 450, once it know its not the root of that STP instance it will then decide which port will be the root port - 450 documentation should have something to show you how to set a priority on your 2 uplink ports...I'd think that would be enough to stop the fighting...

I've implemented 450s into an Extreme summit 250 environment with the redundant configuration your speaking of, and had port 5 and 6 wind up exhibiting strange behavior - the port 5 would go stupid but it would not switch packets over port 6, - there was weeks of wailing and gnashing of teeth until Avaya came out with a later load of 450 firmware, once we loaded it the problems went away and the links were stable - my advise is to make sure you have the latest firmware load on the 450
- I also got fooled by the CLI structure - coming from the cisco world I got used to having to be in interface mode to set speed duplex. but on the 450 you use the "set port negotiation 10/5 disable" from the default CLI prompt to set the port speed on the actual ports... 10/5 and 10/6. for awhile there, my ports for 100/half until I disccovered this little bit of minutia...
it's worth checking the speed duplex..."show port 10/5" from the default CLI prompt

not sure if any of this helps, and I hate to throw trash out here that doesn't apply to what your experiencing but you never know...I'd like to know what the fix is when you get it worked out - thanks for the post

I've also got a 450 in the lab and could scrounge up a catalyst switch if you need furthur help - I'm interested in finding out about this one..

ouch - I just realized you are uplinking to 2 cisco's ... disregard... (your configuration is like the one on page 33 of avaya doc 03-602055)?

after reading the 450 admin guide, it looks as though port redundancy is a seperate feature from spanning tree redundancy -

so you did the following?
1 G450-001(super)# set port redundancy 10/5 10/6 on 1
2 G450-001(super)# set port redundancy enable
3 G450-001(super)# set port redundancy-intervals 60 30

( it looks like you have to enable it as well as set the interfaces)

...at any rate - im intested in knowing how it goes...

Yes you are correct it is a separate feature.

and i also did the following config:

1 G450-001(super)# set port redundancy 10/5 10/6 on 1
2 G450-001(super)# set port redundancy enable
3 G450-001(super)# set port redundancy-intervals 60 30

But this config i set it to:

3 G450-001(super)# set port redundancy-intervals 0 0

Why? so that if my primary interface went up, the secondary interface will immediately place the control back to my primary. a Total of 5 mins before my primary will takeover again (Something like, "if the network is still stable within 5 mins or more i will return the control to primary) you cannot ping your G450 over the network (or your S8300 if you have) BUT THE FUN PART IS, the registration to your CLAN doest come off and it is still registered when you do a "list media" command.

I totally test it out a couple of times and i made set my timer thats why i came up of this 5 min interval.

I did this activity last weekend, and its working fine, the network engineer told me that they dont see any network flapping when we were doing the activity, but after a day or so they are having flapping issues on the network... When they unplug my G450 the network is stable again... this is my issue.

instead of using 0, try 1 instead ...the system might consider "0" as "none"

"If you set this to none, there is no switchback to the primary port when it recovers."

also - do a "show port 10/5" and find out what the speed/duplex settings are...

I dont think so because i already test it out and the config that i did was my clients request. both of my interfaces are 100mpbs full duplex hardcoded.

disable "spanning tree" on the G450, it is not needed with port-redundancy

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

Hi Mitch,

I already disable the spanning tree on my G450 but still no good. Please see my first post.

Thanks.

Did you disable Sapnning Tree on the G450? Thats what I am talking about...

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back