Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

G430 and phones on the same VLAN 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITHawkDriver

Technical User
Aug 4, 2021
US
Good morning,
We are performing an emergency break fix. Is there any issue with the media gateway being in the same VLAN as the phones?

I have a couple locations that are like that with no issues.

Thank you Sean655 for the assist. Are there any specific settings I should be aware of? Running R8.1 with a G430 and PRIs with a mix of Digital and SIP endpoints.

Have you programmed a g430 before? If you're just replacing the gateway then CM is doing most of the work. I always make sure spantree is disabled on the gateway but that's about it.

I have programmed and know the spanning tree well, I forgot it on my first. Thanks for the help.

Watch out for ARP issues! You'll now if you have them as there will be speech path issues. You'll usually experience then if the phone changes IP address. Its not usually an issue but in certain break-fix scenarios, who knows!
To counteract I reduce the ARP cache timer on the gateway - which will increase the ARP traffic on the VLAN, but should not be a massive issue on a LAN speed network

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back