Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

G4 won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2001
US
Push the button on the front. Nothing happens. The light lights up as if it will start, but nothing. Tyrone Lumley
augerinn@gte.net

have you recently made any changes to the computer? mine did that when it was a cpu problem. make sure that your memory is seated all the way, cpu is seated all the way, all of your pci \ agp cards are seated all the way. btw..does it chime when you turn it on? don't let your schooling interfere with your education--mt

Re-Seated memory, AGP and CPUs. Still no power. Haven't made any changes. Just brought it down because we had power go out. Went to bring it back up and nothing.

Tyrone Lumley
augerinn@gte.net

well, there is always a chance that when the power came back on, you had a large voltage spike (usually there is a small one) and it knocked out your mac. i have seen it happen as well as seen burned motherboards. do you get the classic start up chime? if you don't then it is probably a board problem. if you ge tthe chime, try resetting the pram don't let your schooling interfere with your education--mt

does the light and power stay on?
does it boot chime or not?
reset (PRAM)
reseat (video card, MPU [be careful with pins], DIMM)
replace
what about the power going out--was the unit on at the time?
when i say reseat-i mean remove the part and re-install it.
good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back