Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

G4 vs. Mac Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentucky

Technical User
Nov 5, 2002
US
since my g4 is running slow. my GM here at work wants me to give him a list as far as the difference in speeds of my G4 vs. the 8core mac pro.
he wants to know exact details so he has something in writing to show the expense is ok.
where can i get this info?

It may be faster and it may be slower.

Keep in mind that whatever you are running on your G4 is running on code for the PPC processor. While the Intel Mac of today runs circles around a G4, it has to emulate the PPC environment through Rosetta. Sluggish emulation may offset your speed gains with a new system. If you are a Photoshop user, for example, you will need to upgrade to CS3, the only version written for the new Intel Macs.

You can google for 'G4 Intel Mac Pro benchmark' to see comparisons.

Budget for software upgrades as well.

As Jim said, you have to be VERY careful. Until CS3 none of the Adobe apps were set for Intel chips. The results of using earlier version could be very, very bad. Other apps can also be effected, Of note, we have not had any problem running Office X (an older version) on intel Macs.

You would have to budget in upgrades of software to run on the Mac Pro. Depending on what yu use that can be moderate or expensive.

Your slow down is not being caused by the machine unless the hard drive is very full or incorrectly speced/installed. Computers do not just slow down over time, unless there's a software or hardware (usually due to a very full drive)problem.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4 & G5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back