Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

G4 Not Detecting Replacement HDDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalmail

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2002
US
We have a G4 that had an IBM and Quantum HDD in it. Unfortunately and predictably, the IBM drive blew.

The Quantum has OS9 installed, and works fine.

The IBM had OSX on it.

I am now trying to install OSX on a replacement drive, but out of the 2 I have tried, the installation program will not 'see' the drive.

Both disks used to be used in PCs, and work fine.

The Quantum still works fine, and I can boot OS9 on it, so the IDE cable is fine.

I have tried all combinations of jumper settings, and nothing works.

Any idea what I can do?

If I install it as the only disk, with a Primary setting, it fails. If I install it as the only disk with Cable Select setting, it fails. If I add the old primary Quantum drive, and add this as a Slave with Slave settings, it fails...

Have you tried using something like drive setup to re-format the drive before trying the install?

BD

If sarcasm is the lowest form of wit...what is the highest?

No, is that a third party application? Under OSX, the installer simply never sees the drive.

I heard that G4s only accept 66/100/and 133s, so have ordered a ST-380011A.

If using OSX... go to utilities and drive utility...see if it recognises the drive. If so, use the erase option to format the drive for OSX.

Not sure about the particular drives recognised by G4s. Didn't know there was such a limitation.

BD

If sarcasm is the lowest form of wit...what is the highest?

Hi

Normally, there is no limitation about HD to be connected to a G4. Be simply sure to correctly set the jumpers of the master and the slave drives (Mac don't use the cable select option), and don't forget that some HD need a different setting when they are master with a slave drive or master without slave drive.

If your HD comes from a PC, it need to be formated for Mac (even if you buy a brand new drive, it's better to format it as they are often PC formatted). With OS X simply use Drive Utility and format with HFS+ file format. With OS 9, use Drive Setup and be sure to choose "Mac OS extended" file format with 1 partition (or more).

The installer can "see" the drive ONLY when it is Mac formatted.

Best regards
Claude

Thanks for all the help.

In the end, I bought a new 80GB Seagate and it worked after using the disk utility.

Odd thing was that when I added the drive as a slave (the master had OS9 installed) it wouldn't let me install OSX on the 80GB drive, but when I made it the master and the existing disk a slave, it would let me install OSX..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back