Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

G3V4 Processor swapout

Status
Not open for further replies.

glimma

Technical User
Jul 10, 2007
GB
I've got an old Si running G3V4i.08.0.084.2, which we are unable to administer. From searching this forum a few others have had the same issue and the general advice has been to replace the processor.

Currently we are struggling to find a TN786B processor with the same software load, the closest we've found is running load G3V4i.08.0.084.1.

I'm got no real experience with the older Si systems, so I'm not sure if the replacement processor will be sufficient or should I get the new processor to be an exact match?

Is there such a thing as a software history doc, show the older loads with fixes etc?

As for replacing the processor, is it just a case of shutting down the cabinets, replacing the TN786 and then powering the system back up or is there more too it?

Thanks

Glimma

I am interested as to why you are unable to administer your G3v4...is the processor "defective" is the switch up and running? or do you have a password issue?
Replacing the processor is no big deal..but you need to make sure that you have one that you can admin also..that would be your only issue..plus you will need to re-program the entire system unless you have another r4 process to replace it with...

...bob...

Remember to do a "save trans" if you can or hopefully you have a recent backup...

Thanks for the reply wellco9530.

The system is up and running, but was can't log on to administer it and the Tiger PMS system can't talk to the switch either.

I've powered down the system and restarted, it's come back up but still can't login. I've changed the serial cable but still the same.

We have a replacement processor enroute, but it's not the exact same software version.

replacing the processor:
1. write protect the flash card with the switch setting on the card
2. power down the carrier or cabinet the tn786B is in
3. swap it out
4. power it up
5. login and look at the last page of display capacity
6. If you have a modem line connected and need help, click the link

If the new processor has an earlier software version, you may end up with software corruption.

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

37 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 27 years and counting

Hi glimma, which terminal and how do you connect to the system?
There are2 alternatives:
- Terminal 25-pin connector which you may connect to PC COM port or
- AUX terminal (Amphenol connector) where one pair is embedded modem where you can connect analog line and call from outside.

If one is burned why not to use another one??

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies!!!!!

Its a terminal 25-pin connector which we normally connect my laptop, but we get no response from the system. I've replaced this cable but still the same.

ok, if it is interesting for you, on back side near Term connector there is Aux connector (Amphenol 50 pins). On the last pair of pins of Aux the pins 25,50 (last pair) are the INADS modem for alternative remote access. You need only an analog line extension to connect to this pair and call this number from the modem (terminal parameters 9600-N-8-1). You will receive the same Login: prompt in responce as on Terminal connector. good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back