Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

G3 CDR Devices ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastbusy

MIS
Nov 30, 2000
GB

Anyone know anything about G3 CDR ?

How does the external device connect and what good devices are available ?

There is a RS-232 port on the back of the Processor cabinet that is used to connect CDR devices. Avaya has a Windows based CDR program but I have never been that impressed with Avaya's CDR boxes. Check out other vendors CDR products like Infortel. They do a better job.

The Telco Research TRU System (recently acquired by Peregrine), the ISI Infortex Rodata System, and the Microtel Microcall System are three CDR systems that I've experienced as working well with the G3.

All three have a proven track record of consistently dependable, reliable, accurate call tracking from my experience; the environment I'm familiar with has had them running 24x7x365 for anywhere from four to eight years, depending on the platform and when the office it's in was opened. They typically handle anywhere from 5K to 150K calls per day, again depending on the office where they are installed.

Like most call accounting system platforms, there are distinctions among their features, capabilities, and user interfaces that are mostly a matter of personal preference and budget size.

Based on the installations in the environment I'm familiar with, TRU differs from Rodata and Microcall in that its database isn't part and parcel of the application itself. It relies on a separate Foxpro database. There were some database stability issues with that system during startup.

All three companies have been pretty good at providing technical support, maintenance, and repair. I found them particularly responsive during Y2K readiness, and among the companies I found most proactive in understanding and protecting their customers interests during this critical period. Many major equipment vendors and service providers should have aspired to similar levels.

I have no experience with using them for billing chargeback or phone bill allocation. Each system offers this to varying degrees, with some level of functionality part and parcel of the basic package, and more available as a custom feature. (While I've experimented with the functions enough to know what's there, I've no experience with loading tariffs, etc., and can't speak to that.)

I have experience with using TRU in a remote polling mode, to cover multiple PBXs with the same central system; both the polling PC and the buffer boxes work well. I only have experience with Rodata and Microcall in a dedicated standalone mode, though believe they offer similar distributed capability.

We have a G3R and recently connected our call accounting software via a 7400B Data module off of a TN754 circuit pack. There is not an available RS-232 port on the back of our cabinet.

You can extract raw data with a serial printer or hyper-term on a pc connected to the data mod. There are adjustments in the switch in order to report certain activities. (External and Internal calls)

Most CDR vendors will sort through the raw data to print reports that can easly be understood. Make sure you know what information you want to see before you look for a vendor and try to understand what information will and won't be sent out of the switch. We are currently using a company called Telemate.

Thanks for the information, guys ... One more question if you don't mind ...

Specifically what is it possible to achieve using CDR ?

Regarding the use of CDR, is it possible to program the PBX to record calls made to specific external IDDDs ?

filakio---Can you give me some more info on connecting devices using the TN754 circuit pack. We too have no open ports to use.

Thanks
Chris
cpwarren@renlearn.com

Apologies, Guys - It seems that my initial understanding of the term "CDR" was incorrect. My interpretation was "voice call recording", which obviously is inacurate.

Now that I understand what CDR is and what it can do for us, I have implemented a solution as follows.

(1) DCE connection to Wintel PC Serial Port
(2) Hyperterm saving log to locally shared text file
(3) Windows 2000 Server command-line AT job to synchronise with share on other server.

OK, so we're not using sexy software to do the job ... It's practically zero cost though.

The text file can be imported easily into Excel. Excel uses auto-filter feature which is great.

What if you have no serial connection to use. I know there is a way that you can connect to a station port to collect raw data using hyperterm.

Cwarren,
You are right, You can use a station port to extract the data in following three conditions:
1. A Digital Extension with an data module
2. A data extension with ADU(Async data Module)
3. If you have an ISDN card & phone , you can use the ISDN phone to have a datacard also which can be extended to the serial port of the PC.

Hope this would help :)

Ok, but then do you have to go into the cdr form and for the second output (I think that is what it says), put the extension of the data module? Or else, how does the switch know to send data to that station port?

Nevermind..I wasn't thinking
You have to set the secondary output to go to the data module extension. Then bring up hyperterm and capture the text.

I have a more basic question for this thread. Exactly which port on the back of the switch (Definity G3si) do i connect the serial cable to for port capture? I have one (25-pin) labled "Data Communication Equipment" that I believe is the correct one. Is this true?

Just out of curiosity, but does anybody know of any freeware cdr software?

I too like the cheap way--

I would like to do similar to Fastbusy above (port capture, hyperterminal, at job, etc.), but I would like to do it with a Linux box. Any idea how?

How do I find the baud rate of the G3r CDR output? Can I set this? Connected to Teletech call logger via a data module.
Thanks X-)

You can change the data extension & set the speed on the second page of the data extension to what ever you wish from the available options..

I'm also looking into CDR purchase, we're using an ADM and Hyperterm at the moment but I've got clearance to go out and buy a new toy!

Does anyone have any experience of the following software:
Tiger - Tiger Communications.
Emerald XP - Solitaire.

Any comments on them would be appreciated!

ghowson -

Nice to see someone promoting Linux.
It should be easy to use Linux with the free method.

Just get hold of a Linux-based Procomm or Hyperterminal clone.

As for analysis, personally I use Excel, but I'm sure someone must have developed a Linux-based equilavent. Probably better too !

I have created a foxpro program to collect CDR data to a database. It also has a small window that displays the outgoing call data. Too bad it ended up not being what I needed though. I am trying to find out how to collect info on INCOMING calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back