Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FXS Fax Relay Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

spie34

IS-IT--Management
Jul 13, 2006
US
The company I work for is using ISDN PRI for our phone lines.

We have 5 channels for the ISDN coming in right now. One of these is the D channel though of course.

Cisco 2801 router.

What happens is that I can receive faxes, but when I try to fax out I get the busy reorder signal on the line. Now when I take out my international dialing plan I am able to fax out but when it is in the I get the busy reorder signal.

I did follow this when I originally set this up. After that I had configured the International Dial Plan as shown in the configuration.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? The debug voip ccapi inout shows that when I am trying to dial out it is using the International Dial Plan for some reason.

The current configuration:

controller T1 0/1/0
framing esf
linecode b8zs
pri-group timeslots 20-24
description t1
!
!
!
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
description $ETH-LAN$$ETH-SW-LAUNCH$$INTF-INFO-FE 0$
ip address 172.22.1.52 255.255.255.0
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
no ip address
shutdown
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface Serial0/1/0:23
no ip address
encapsulation hdlc
isdn switch-type primary-ni
isdn incoming-voice voice
isdn bchan-number-order ascending
no cdp enable
!
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.22.1.1
!
ip http server
ip http authentication local
ip http secure-server
ip http timeout-policy idle 5 life 86400 requests 10000
!
!
!
!
control-plane
!
disable-eadi
!
!
voice-port 0/0/0
caller-id enable
!
voice-port 0/0/1
trunk-group 1 2
input gain 6
connection plar 2000
caller-id enable
!
voice-port 0/1/0:23
!
!
no mgcp package-capability res-package
no mgcp package-capability fxr-package
no mgcp timer receive-rtcp
!
!
!
dial-peer voice 9 pots
destination-pattern 9[2-9]......
incoming called-number .
direct-inward-dial
port 0/1/0:23
!
dial-peer voice 91 pots
destination-pattern 91[2-9]..[2-9]......
incoming called-number .
direct-inward-dial
prefix 1
!
dial-peer voice 911 pots
destination-pattern 911
incoming called-number .
direct-inward-dial
forward-digits all
!
dial-peer voice 9911 pots
destination-pattern 9[4,9]11
incoming called-number .
direct-inward-dial
forward-digits 3
!
dial-peer voice 2000 voip
destination-pattern 2...
progress_ind setup enable 3
session target ipv4:172.22.1.50
incoming called-number 9
dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric
fax rate disable
no vad
!
dial-peer voice 3000 voip
destination-pattern 3...
incoming called-number 9
fax rate disable
no vad
!
dial-peer voice 1581 voip
destination-pattern 1581
incoming called-number 9
fax rate disable
no vad
!
dial-peer voice 8577 voip
destination-pattern 8577
incoming called-number 9
fax rate disable
no vad
!
dial-peer voice 880 voip
destination-pattern 0880
incoming called-number 9
fax rate disable
no vad
!
dial-peer voice 8578 voip
destination-pattern 8578
incoming called-number 9
fax rate disable
no vad
!
dial-peer voice 1795 voip
preference 5
destination-pattern 1795
incoming called-number .
codec g711ulaw
fax-relay ecm disable
no vad
!
dial-peer voice 5555 pots
destination-pattern 5555
port 0/0/0
!
dial-peer voice 9011 pots
description International Calling
destination-pattern 9
incoming called-number .
direct-inward-dial
!

What does your Route Pattern for International calls look like? Sounds like you have an overlap or something.

Never mind just relooked at your config and saw it. What are you dialing for fax, 1+10, 7 digit 10 digit???

The route pattern for international calling is the standard 9.011!#

The 5555 route pattern is what I was told to do by the link above.

When I dial 9 to get an outside dial tone it immediately goes to fast busy. However the regular IP phones work just fine so not sure what the deal is there other than it is using a different card.

Any other suggestions?

So when your remove the Route Pattern for International, everything works? Or when you remove the International Dial-peer? I'm thinking it's when you remove the Dial-peer. The phones are probably running SCCP and your fax line is H323. The CallManager waits for all the digits to be dialed from the phone and then sends it to the Gateway but the H323 gateway is seeing an immediate match with the 'destination=pattern 9' and failing. Try changing it to 9.011T and see what happens.

When I remove the International dial-peer from the router the fax works fine then. But, then the International dialing fails.

pndscm: I've seen you reply to almost all of the threads here and it does sound like you are very familiar with how call manager works. I came into the setup of the call manager at my work after it was originally configured and I have not dealt with VoIP before this so maybe you can lend me a hand more so than what I've read off of Cisco's site.

So we do have the h323 gateway. That I know for sure. But I do not know what effects the 9.011T does or how it affects things. I've tried to find it on Cisco's site but I am unable to find it again. What are the implications of using this dial pattern vs. the one I used prior?

Is there a way to contact you otherwise? Maybe I could go over the configuration more in detail and you could give me better insight as to what to do. If thats not possible its cool as I know you are probably very busy with your job.

I do appreciate your help with this so far. In other forums where I have very good knowledge and I see the person has made an attempt to figure it out on his/her own I am very willing to offer a lending hand. Sometimes I end up learning something new myself along the way :).

Again thank you for your help.

pndscm:

I did what you said to do in the dial-peer and now it does appear to be working for me when I dial out.

One question though on the International dial-peer. Is this going to change how someone dials internationally? Before the person would have to press # to signal that was the last digit dialed or otherwise the standard 10 or 15 second timeout would have to occur.

Thanks again for your help with this.

It will slow down the connection for International calls a little. The 'T' at the end signifies any number of digits. I would change the Interdigit timeout on the voice-port to like 3-5 seconds instead of the default 15.
The Route Pattern will still take the '#' to signify end of dialing and send the digits at that time to the H323 gateway. Unfortunatly the H323 Gateway recognizes the '#' as a valid digit, not 'end of dialing'. I just checked a couple of my books and none mention an 'end-of-dialing' character for H323 gateways.
I believe you can make the Gateway kind of a split MGCP/H323 Gateway in that the Phones could use MGCP and all signaling for them would be done in CallManager and leave the FXS port as H323 for the Faxes. That should eliminate the delay.
I appreciate the kind words. I try to help as much as I can and also try to limit my posts to area's I am familiar with. Right now I prefer to keep things inside this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back