Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FXO and Tone Generator (Bogen TG-4C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cw929

Technical User
Dec 23, 2002
US
All,

I've recently converted one of our sites from a Mitel system to CUCM. One challenge I am running into is integrating with their emergency tone generator device (Bogen TG-4C). On their legacy Mitel system they were able to dial, i.e 666 to activate this device. I have this device interfacing with a FXO port on the router. When we dial 666 the device make a 2 tone cycles and then disconnects. I have opened a ticket with TAC and they said the device is disconnected the call. I have contacted Bogen and they said that the system requires a contact closure in order to activate the continous tone. Has anyone out there worked with this type of device? If so, could this work with a FXO port or would I have to get some other device to sit between the FXO and tone generator unit.

Please advise!

I don't think you can do it with an FXO port. What type of port was the tone generator connected on the mitel?

I really don't know at this point. This tone generator unit was not identified during the initial survey so we did not have much time the day of migration to assess how it was connected to the Mitel system.

Most of the traditional PBX’s worked that way. They would put a paging trunk on a CO card and when they call an access code it would hit the trunk. Like a closed contact. Not for sure if your tone generator is something like a paging interface. When we changed out our PBX and put in Cisco, the vendor had us buy a different interface that was on FSX card and we just called an ext. Two things to consider.
1. Can a FXO card be programmed like a paging trunk?
2. Can you get a FXS card to interface with something to drive the tone generator?

To emulate a paging port you would need an E&M module for the gateway. That is if you need to emulate a 600ohm output directly into the tone generator which is not what the bogen TG needs if I am not mistaken.

Hi Buddy
Really I am not much into Cisco but then the device TG-4C you have there doesn't require any external voltage and just requires a dry contact closure. Your FXO should do that only if you can configure "supervisory disconnect" and "Loop signalling" correctly.

--
Nithin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back