Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fwd to vmail on busy DID/intercom keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevjb

MIS
Jun 13, 2003
US
I have Norstar MICS with 6.0 s/w and Octel vmail system (interfacing with VMI's). This is setup on PRI with DID's, so all incoming calls route to (2) DID/intercom keys on each independent phone. Setting forward-no answer to vmail extension works great for any call not answered, problem is with the busy. If program set to forward-busy to vmail, the 2nd DID/intercom key wont ring when 1st DID/intercom key is engaged with a call - forwards straight to vmail. When don't set call forward busy, then the incoming caller receives a busy when both DID/intercom keys are engaged. I want this to roll to voicemail when busy! Any ideas?

In your target line programming, what do you have programmed for IF BUSY - busy tone or prime set?

IF BUSY is set to busy tone. If I set it to prime set, then all busy calls would roll to the prime set (receptionist's phone) and not voicemail, right?

You can alter the prime set for each line...including a DID line.I usualy make prime set the same as the DID set or try Vmail's DN.

spoclogo2.jpg

This does NOT really work, either. If I make the prime set the same as the DID set, then it just ring-no-answer when all keys are busy (even though cfwd-no answer is programmed to go to voice mail - works when there are keys available for calls, but not when all keys are busy - weird!). If I make the prime set the vmail DN, then the caller just gets the main auto-attendant greeting and not the person's voicemail (confusing to caller). I could make the prime set another extension (such as receptionist), but that is especially confusing if this receptionist does not answer then the call rolls to the receptionist's vmail - even worse. It seems like the ring-no-answer not working when all keys busy is a design flaw in software! Anyone have any ideas around this?

I just tried the same thing mentioned above on a similar system setup, but with s/w version 4.1 and same problem (cannot have multiple DID/intercom keys and have calls still roll directly to vmail when all these keys are busy):
1. IF BUSY set to prime set (and prime set is set to the same DID set) gives caller ring-no-answer when all DID/intercom keys are busy.
2. IF BUSY set to busy gives caller a busy, setting cfwd-busy on that set to vmail wont ring any other DID/intercom keys (when one key is busy, all callers roll straight to vmail - no roll-over lines work!)
3. IF BUSY set to prime set (and prime set is set to vmail DN) callers get vmail main attendant greeting and not the extension's personal mailbox.
4. IF BUSY set to prime set (and prime set is set to another DN) callers get that prime set's vmail when not answered, not the dialed extension.

This appears to happen on all s/w versions and must be an inherent problem with system software/design - everyone else must be experiencing this same issue, right? Does anyone know a way to still have multiple DID roll-over lines and calls still roll directly to voicemail when all DID/intercom keys are all busy?

I think the busy to prime problem can be solved by adding a third intercom button (if possible). When the 2 intercoms are in use there is no path for the call to forward, hence the ring-no answer.

Brian Cox

Yeah unfortunately the call has to actually ring on the phone for it to follow the forwarding of the phone.

Add more intercom keys! Or add multiple appearances of the target line.

MRoberts
mroberts@americaii.com

Adding more intercom keys just reduces the "chance" that all keys are busy - they still could have 3 calls engaged if a 3rd intercom key is added.

If I was to take mroberts suggestion of adding multiiple appearances of the target line on keys of the phone instead of intercom keys, would this take care of the cfwd-busy problem (all calls are forwarded immediately to vmail with just the first key on a call - any successive intercom keys wont ring) or will the phone still be considered busy when on a single call and any other target line appearances still wont ring??

Thanks!

As soon as the handset is lifted from the cradle the set is considered busy. You would not be able to set call forward on busy. The secondary calls coming through will give a muted ring in the background. This way the user has the opportunity to accept the call or blow it off and have it follow the forward no answer setting.

MRoberts
mroberts@americaii.com

mroberts, it works like you say, but I still have the problem when all intercom keys are busy - there is no indicator to user that additional call is coming in (because there are no keys left) and caller just gets ring no answer. If these keys were additional appearances of the target line instead of intercom keys, would the caller still get a ring no answer when all target line keys (instead of intercom keys) are busy?

No, if there isn't a path to the phone like intercoms keys or target line appearances then the call never reaches the phone. Period. You'll get ring no answer until the DRT to Prime is reached then the system will send the call to whatever the prime set for the target line is set to.

If you set the Prime set to the first port of the vmail then the AA will pick up because the voicemail doesn't see the call as coming from a specific phone (the call never got there, remember?) it just sees it as an incoming line.

Therefore to alleviate your problem your best bet is to assign as many IC buttons or target line appearances as this person expects to get calls at any given time. Period. More buttons!

MRoberts
mroberts@americaii.com

What is your prime set for your PRI Trunk set to?

MarvO said it

Prime set of PRI is set to the main programming set in the switchroom - this is the same set which has the "services on" message for the automatic overflow of calls from PRI to backup loop start lines.

I agree with MRoberts, more buttons.

It also seems like there is one small difference in something the Octel likes that is different from Norstar Voice-mail, but can't find anything on it. Anybody?

MarvO said it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back