Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FVL328 BOTTOM LINE???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zcript3r

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2001
US
I have a FVL328 which I just got working with the above-and-beyond help of a Tek-Tip forum member (Thanks Mike). Just when I think life is going to start getting better, my device has gone through 2 days of slowdowns, which require power cycle to fix (it sits on a LAN with 15 computers, and has 2 VPN policies setup just for testing). Upon looking on Google for this problem, I see nothing but bad things concerning this unit. My question . . .

What device should I be looking at that will accomodate 35 VPN connections? It seems aparant that the FVL328 is not going to measure up. What say any of you who are currently using this item? I need advice as to whether I should get rid of this item and move on to something else, or stick it out.

Thank you.
Rob

Rob,

I've got a client with two FVL328's. I don't have as many connections as you, but wanted to suggest that you should update to the lastest firmware update (rev 30).

I've been working with Netgear tech support off and on for the past several months. They were aware of the slowdown and had been working on it.

Jim.

Rob,

One other thing: Consider reducing the level of encry to speed things up. I realize this will reduce security, but really many folks don't need tripe DES and it's a lot of overhead.

You may find a considerable improvement by using DES.

Of course igore all this with your already using DES<g>

Jim.

Jim, Thanks for the response!

Netgear techsupport (actually, a third party they hire out to do their supporting of their product) sent me Rev 19 of the firmware for the FVL328. I was using Rev 30, but had weird things happening when trying to set up VPN Connections, (i.e. IKE policy I wanted to assign to a VPN poicy wouldn't show up, couldn't create more that 1 remote VPN client). They sent me Rev 19 which was not available on Netgear's site, and everything has been working very smoothly.

I now actually enjoy using this product. I have a pretty detailed document which I used to set up my Netscreen clients. Most of the documents up on the web describing how to do this would typically leave out a couple of pieces of information. In documenting my setup, I could see how easy it is to leave out pieces that are clear to the person documenting the process. If you are interested in looking at my doc, send me an email at rwasiniak@preceptsoft.com, and I will send you a copy.

Thanks again,
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back