Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Future of Nortel Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescarty

Vendor
Sep 23, 2004
US
My company has been installing Avaya Partner and Nortel Norstar systems for the last 8 years and our customers have been very happy, especially with the Norstar line. We are disappointed that Avaya has decided to get rid of this extemely reliable system. I am not as confident in the BCM or IP Office. I'm curious what other companies in the same situation are considering as we all move forward.

Jim

Better start learning the BCM and I.P. Office. Remember what happened to the dinosaurs. But seriously the Norstar key systems will still be in use well into the future and replacement parts needed. (just becoming increasingly difficult to get most Nortel Keycodes). Anyway, Good luck

Money may not buy you happiness, but in MLB it buys you CHAMPIONSHIPS. (27 and counting). MLB,stands for Major League Baseball for you slower Boston Fans!

Thanks YankeeNation. Two of my techs have been trained on the BCM50 and I recognize there is a large installed base of Norstar equipment that will keep us busy for years to come. I guess my question now is are the BCM and IP Office the BEST products to be offering our customers going forward. I feel that by discontinuing the Norstar line, Avaya is forcing a lot of companies like mine to look at products we would not have bothered with in the past.

Knowing that Nortel was going to "be no more", I'm now selling (trying) the VOIP Allworx.

@ ptstechnician....

I just talked with a worker in an office that we had proposed a BCM 50 but the owner, trying to save a LITTLE money, went with the Allworx. When I asked her how the new phone system was working out she said "Shitty - but I just work here". For what it's worth.

Allworx is a great system if you have a tech that knows it well and latest phones are very nice. Perhaps they had a tech who was like one that installed BCM for the first time.
All sets are IP only, no digital.
You dont need near as many key codes for applications.

As for Norstar I think it was slated to end before Avaya was involved.
However you can blame them for getting rid of BCM soon.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back