Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Future of Forms ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bart58

Programmer
Dec 16, 2002
FR

Hi everyone,

I am a PlSql developer and junior DBA and my company wants me to learn Forms. I like Oracle, I am confident in the future of their databases and want to continue in that world for a long time, as a DBA or a developer. Although I'm happy with the opportunity to learn Forms and add new skills , a lot of people told me bad stuff about Forms. Whether they were right or wrong, I have no idea .

What is the future of Forms ? What are it's main weaknesses and how does it fare against the competition ?

I know that an Oracle Forum may be isn't the best place to ask this question, that we all pretty much make a living working on Oracle products, but again where else could I ask it ?

I thank you in advance for your time and your honesty,

Francois

The main problem with Forms at the moment is Oracle Marketing and the large amount of money that they are asking for its deployment.

The latest version of Forms (9i) is only available for Web deployment. To deploy this you need to purchase Oracle's Application Server, this is not cheap. The previous version of Forms (6i) could be deployed in a client/server environment, and this method of deployment was free.

Apart from this, Forms is a nice development environment. It allows you to develop a program very fast. However, there is not much documentation for the beginer.

Forms is a great RAD tool. You can get rich GUI applications developed quickly and without generating a lot of code. I would consider it a 4GL tool.

The Forms 6i client/server option is not the future of Forms. Oracle plans to de-support that version in 2004.

That leaves you with web forms in the future. You get the same ruch interface option, and smae development environment, but it is run through a Java forms emulator. The client becomes a "dumb" terminal performing screen updates, and the logic all runs on the Application Server. Which at this point is Oracle 9iAS, and is relatively expensive and memory hungry (expect to pay around $20,000 per CPU).

There are runors that Oracle may release a stripped-down version of 9iAS that would include just the Forms/Reports server essentials. The assumption is that this would be a lot cheaper than the full 9iAS, which includes Portal, Discoverer, etc.

Since web-forms is what Oracle's own Applications are written in, you can expect them to be viable and supported for years.

We've been a client/server Forms/Reports shop for years, and are now looking at our options to get away from Client/Server (we also have the wish to be platform-independent so our Mac users can run our applications as well). What we're finding so far:

Oracle web-forms: Good solution, lets you design rich-GUI apps. Easy learning curve for those who are familiar with client/server Forms development. 9iAS server option is expensive and needs a powerful server. 9iAS is also very difficult to set up.

Visual Studio.net: To be platform-independent with VS.net, you're looking at using web pages generated with ASP.net. ASP.net is a big improvement over the original ASP. This HTML-based interface is nowhere near as rich as what we're used to. It's OK for web pages and static information, but I sure wouldn't want to write a complete business application. Coming from a PL/SQL background, the learning curve looks to be pretty steep. Definitley not a RAD tool like Forms; lots more coding needed underneath the surface.

Oracle JDeveloper: Java-based system seems to offer the rich GUI interface we're looking for while still being platform independent. Definitley not a RAD tool; but rumor has it Oracle is developing a RAD module for JDeveloper. Like VS.net, this is a real steep learning curve. Java Server Pages (JSP) generated in JDeveloper look and function pretty similarly to ASP pages in Visual Studio; you're limited to the less-flexible HTML interface. JDeveloper has Business Components for Java (BC4J). which is a nice JDBC interface for accessing Oracle tables and data. It greatly helps to simplify talking to the Oracle database.

Hope that helps...

Dave

Thank you very much DSanchez and Dave for your replies, it sure helped me !

Francois

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back