Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Future of Avaya 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

teletechman

Technical User
Aug 27, 2008
US
Just wondering what anyone is hearing on this. I have been looking at their website and no mention of the IP Office 500 only cloud offerings now. Not sure what this means for us as installers or maintainers but it doesn't look good for the future. Every piece of literature I get from them is about the cloud.
Mike

we would never sell ACO we looked at it and its rubbish compared to what we sell and just remember you say little margin each month on a licence but when we hare 5-6 thousand seats on it so far that's £20000 -£25000 each month for not doing anything it runs itself

@Hosted2021 what cloud offering are you selling? Is it only something available in the UK?

I have a couple partners selling Coredial. It can be white-labeled with your logo. Easy to set upp, the partners claim that there is %50 profit in it.

there are a few in the US who i have had good experience with Skyswitch and Virtue. Its white label and there is really good margin in it.

Kevin Wing
ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Vive Communications

Financial vantages for the subscription model are clear, even if in a long term the end user pays much more respect a on premise solution, the question is about the reseller role: actually they can sell, implement, mantain and propose value added solution all around a on premise solution, I wonder what could they do in a "cloud self install" based environment and don't forget that there are small resellers/sysem integrators that can't guarantee 5-6 thousands seats as per Hosted2021 statement.

@nortel4ever - we went with 8x8. Been a year now, over 40 customers and 1200 seats moved across to them from avaya systems.

| ACSS SME |

I see there's stacks of IP Office kit on a well known auction site ...

we have loads of new Avaya kit and phones that we cant get rid of why would you buy a on prem when you can have an always up to date system that is more flexible and disaster proof. its what we have been selling for the last 5-10 years we don't sell any pabx anymore they are just not worth it

@Hosted2020
people are having different priorities to buy a phone system.

Some are cheap and want a system on prem so that they can save money in the long run once it is paid for.
They don't want to pay for the ability to plug in a phone or set up an app and if it doesn't work call their provider and say fix it.
Some also don't want to give up control.
Many different reasons why people still buy on prem systems.

TBH I still don't understand why so many business partners push for the Avaya / RingCentral solution. You basically sign your customer over to them and once they have enough of them I am pretty sure we see them taking them all and giving BP's and maybe Avaya the boot.

You want really good uptime?
2 Internet circuits with redundant SIP trunks and 2 servers and your system can have pretty much the same uptime if you are planning on keeping it for a long time but you need to invest the money and the IT resources to make it work in the beginning and that is what scares a lot of people away from it. IT also loves hosted because they don't have to do much and can sit back and play with other stuff.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS (SME)

Remembering intrigrant 2019

We have plenty of customers where hosted is just a bad fit.

We've got a couple of local school boards as clients. Can you imagine a school board with 200 schools paying monthly for a phone in each classroom? These schools have 5 incoming lines for a hundred endpoints and for the most part the teachers never use their voicemail, most don't even know how to access it. Another big account we deal with is a national grocer. 30ish phones per location and again only 4 or 5 incoming lines.

How about those customers out in the sticks with a 3 down / 1 up DSL connection? They'll never go hosted if it means they lose phone service every time someone fires up an HD YouTube video, but an IPO with a couple of analog POTS lines will give them everything they need.

While a subscription service might make us business partners money (along with Avaya/RC) every month, it often doesn't make sense from the customer's viewpoint. That being said, there's always the accounting/law/software offices that it does make a lot of sense for - a feature rich solution that costs about the same as a PRI or bank of POTS lines.

- Qz

We installed an ip office 500 v2 55 phones in 2018. Put the customer on PRI. The cost of analogue lines was unbelievable.
The service calls for dead or noisy lines on it are gone. The big issue I see is that our local voice providers have no issue with doing cutovers on-premise systems.
Even when they know there is a interconnect involved. They are getting really aggressive on cutting premise vendors out of the loop.
Our relations with the Cox and ATT of the world are deteriorating quick. Of course, VoIP is the wave of the future! Customers don't know the
difference and vendors are painted as too expensive, and not reliable. what a crock.

We were notified by our distributor (Jenne) yesterday that 1416 phones have been discontinued by Avaya, and that they have none in stock. However I cannot find anything on Avaya's site, nor via internet searches confirming this. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Senior Field Technician
Hampton Roads Communication Technologies

We were told the same thing. We havent been able to buy any.

Kevin Wing
ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Vive Communications

Wouldn't suprise me, for us to get a hold of any digital handset in the UK is a nightmare, usually takes upwards of 3 weeks to get stock last time we tried (maybe about 6 months ago)

We are selling less and less Avaya, mostly hosted and about to start doing NEC due to the Panasonic situation, I think the IPO500 v2 chassis will be end of life within the next couple of years.

Calum M
ACSS

Avaya no longer supplies 1416s, 1616s, 9508s and 96XX phones any more. All J-series now.

I'm thankful we have a fantastic supplier for refurb and boxed new phones, we even managed to source a bunch of 9611s recently.

Do they still supply 1408 handsets?

Calum M
ACSS

Hosted puts all of your eggs in one basket provider wise. If they go down then everyone goes down with them. Hosted wont work well for sites with access to only small bandwidth connections.

that is not true at all g711 is 100kb a call we have 10-15 handsets ona normal adsl no problem. And as for eggs in one basket that does not apply as well our supplier now has over 14 datacentres covering most country's in the world with full redundancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back