Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fuser not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjurado

Vendor
Aug 14, 2001
MX
Hi.

I would appreciate any advice you could give me for solving a small problem I have.
When I try to run the command fuser it fails with:
0509-036 Cannot load program fuser because of the following errors:
0509-026 System error: There is not enough memory available now.

I have a p660 running AIX 5.1
The problem is there since many months ago, I have done many reboots
There is a lot of memory: 4 GB
The problem is even when I have just rebooted and nothing else is running on the machine.
I have updated to the last maintenance level 5.1.0.0-04 with no results.
I am running with 64 bits kernel and JFS2

Any comments welcome

Make sure some paging space is free

lsps -s, and check to see if PSALLOC=early,

echo $PSALLOC

Theres almost all paging space free
I have 4 GB of paging space and only 5% maximum used.

use the ipcs command to see anything abnormal is loaded in the memory...if so u can delete them using ipcrm

Does it work with the root user or is this where you problem is ?

Alex

As far as I have seen the fuser is the only command that is hot working, I am thinking in just live with it.
The only concern I have is if it is a "tip of the iceberg" and I colud have more problems in the filesystem structure that could show up in the future.

The fuser has never worked in this server, I think since installatin in January, but I just found it some monts ago.

A weird think I found is that there is a fuser64 command,
but it is not documented,
In my test 64 bit test machine fuser and fuser64 have the same behaivor.
In my test 32 bit machine fuser runs fine but fuser64 fails with:
exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program fuser64 because of the following errors: 0509-032 Cannot run a 64-bit program on a 32-bit machine.
Obviusly this is not a problem.

I have not run the fuser64 in the production 64 bit machine where fuser fails.

And diging a bit more I found a lot of xxxx64 commands as
arp64, netstat64, etc.

Does anybody knows about the fuser64 or other xxxx64 commands?

Thank you for your time

I wouldn't want to run a system without having fuser on it. And it very well may be the tip of the iceberg. (have you ever tried to run fsck on this system?)

Did this system come with 5.1 on it or was this an upgrade from 4.x?

It almost sounds as if you have some missing filesets.

Do an lslpp -f | grep fuser. You should have four lines, including one showing /usr/sbin/fuser64.

I also wonder if you have all of the bos.rte.filesystem files? When you do an lslpp -f bos.rte.filesystem, do you see anything that looks funny?

Than you for taking time for your asnwer

I have never run fsck.

This systme came with AIX 4.3.
I installed AIX 5.1.0.0-03 as a new and complete override. No upgrade form AIX 4.3.
Last sunday I updated to AIX 5.1.0.0-03

lppchk -c does not show any file to fileset inconsistencies.

I made an lslpp -f bos.rte.filesystem and the only think I found was the fuser64, which is new to me, but nothing else.

I will runn fuser64 to see if it works (I cannot reach the system at this time)

Thank you for your time.

Interesting that you only found fuser64. My 5.2 system (different version, but...) also has /usr/sbin/fuser. Do you have the actual file /usr/sbin/fuser? If so, what is the timestamp on that file and fuser64?

I'm looking forward to seeing what you find out when you get to the system. I like mysteries!

I explain myself wrong
Is not that I only found fuser64, I found all (i think) the files in the fileset, I was trying to say that the only thing unusal I found on those files was the discovering of a fuser64 which doesn't have a man entry nor shows up in a serch in
I do have the /usr/sbin/fuser file:

# ls -l /usr/sbin/fus*
-r-sr-xr-x 1 root system 11774 Mar 28 21:10 /usr/sbin/fuser
-r-sr-xr-x 1 root system 12152 Mar 28 20:49 /usr/sbin/fuser64

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back