Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Funny Login Time Restricton 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roland

Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
DE
Hi there<br>
I have problems with the login time restrictions.<br>
On trial, I restricted a user not to log in <br>
(respectively not to keep connection) between 20:00 and <br>
20:30. Then I wrote a simple programm that displayed the <br>
time as long as there is a particular file on a mapped <br>
network device and logged in.<br>
Next morning I saw the logout time: 1:00 am! <br>
Server and Client have the same time of course.<br>
Has anybody an idea why I have a time difference of 5 <br>
hours in this case?<br>
For suggestions I would be very appreciated.<br>
Thanks

In my case, what? <br>
Please, continue!<br>
By the way, the name of this feature is slightly misleading. Along with restricting logins, this feature of NetWare 4.1 disconnects those users that are still connected at the beginning of the blocked time. Perhaps we should call this Connection Time Restrictions rather than Login Time Restrictions.<br>
However, I still have the same effects described below.<br>
<br>
Any ideas? <br>
Thanks!

Hi. It sound's like your Time Zone is set wrong. Login Time Restrictions does not look at zones according to the help notes in nwadmin.<br>
These are copied from the tips section there:<br>
<br>
&quot;If the user is logged in and reaches a restricted time, the system issues a five-minute warning. If the user is still logged in after five minutes, he or she is logged out and loses any unsaved work.&quot;<br>
<br>
&quot;If you are running Windows 3.1, you must set the TZ environment variable to your time zone before starting NetWare Administrator and making login time restrictions. Otherwise, your time zone is assumed to be Eastern Standard Time (TZ=EST5EDT).&quot;<br>
<br>
&quot;Login time restrictions are not adjusted for mobile or remote users whose local time zone is different than the NetWare server that is processing the login request.&quot;<br>
<br>
Hope this helps...

Brief problem with logging onto the network. We have 2 machines that when rebooted, ask for a login and password for the P.C. itself. Both are running Win2000. It does not allow you to cancel the P.C. login. After on the P.C., you right click the 'N' icon on the bar on the lower right, click Novell login and then get the popup for logging onto the network with the proper userid for the network. I am reasonably sure there is a setting for using the novell login for the P.C. also, but it has been too many years since I last played with Novell setup.
Thanks for any help.

so when you turn the pc on you get a windows login box - not a netware one?

if so either the settings in advance are wrong or your gina's are back to front

i assume you have a dlu policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back