Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Funny IP problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoddessOfTech

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2004
US
The scenario...

2 brand new dell computers, both with winxp home/sp2. Brand new DLink wireless router. Brand new dsl service.

Approx every three days...but not always three days...sometimes it works for a week. But in anycase after some time the computers lose access to the net and the only thing that works to resolve the issue is to power cycle the wireless router and the dsl modem.

Some things have been tried: Changing the dlink's channel...made it work for five days straight but then lost its connection. Deleting dlink's software and letting xp handle the wireless connection...made it work for a few days but then back to disconnecting. Took dlink to another place of business using the same ISP...hooked it up for a two week test...absolutely no problem.

Now, we are fighting with the ISP about their modem. They tell the client that there is nothing wrong with the modem...it's the router. My company and dlink say no...not the router. Anyway...any thoughts?

It is as if after so many days the modem stops talking to the dlink. It always gets the same IP address when we power cycle it even though it is supposedly a dynamic ip addy.

=================================
"It's become appallingly clear that our technology has surpassed our humanity." --Albert Einstein

I've seen this and the only thing I can say is that its a DHCP problem with the router.

Make sure you are using the current firmware on the router.

You can download it from the dlink website... upload via the web interface.

Thanks. I'll check that out...not sure if the techs updated the firmware or not. Odd that it doesn't do it on a different network.

=================================
"It's become appallingly clear that our technology has surpassed our humanity." --Albert Einstein

I would say that it was the router according to your trouble shooting. I have recieved 2 bad modems in just the last year from my isp! They also told me that it was not the router but when i got home with my new one it worked just fine. Hmmmmm what a coincedence

I agree that it is a DHCP problem. And that could be the router. You can leave DHCP on for the internet but turn it off for the local nw. Or set the addys for the computers lower than the start address of the router DHCP server. (That one worked for me)

pc.gif

Jomama

It definitely sounds like a DHCP problem. Is your modem a bridged modem or router? If it is a router, I would turn DHCP off on it. There may be some conflicts.

Yes the DHCP is more than definetly the problem. If the router goes offline it will take a while to regain an IP adress from your ISP. Check for new Firmware for the router. If that doesn't work you need a new router.

did you check your ipconfig /all settings.
how long are you "assigned" an IP address?

~koolage

I had the exact same problem. Turned out to be my cable provider. My computer would stay connected, but the wireless laptop I'm using here would lose connectivity. ISP would not help at all. I finally created a batch file that did ipconfig /release then renew. Once cable figured out what I was doing, they told me I needed to clone my mac address to my router, so I only had one ip showing on the net. Once I did that, haven't had a lick of trouble. Even moved, and once I plugged everything in, still works like a charm. Something to check. Good luck.

Click here to learn Ways to help with Tsunami Relief
Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.
Don't forget to shop @ theTek-Tips Store

I am having the same problem with my router. I have to turn the modem and router off to get it to work. Ill try the mac address clone and get back to you.

This is not a reply, however, would like to share an incident and see what comments are made on my situation.

My son and I hooked his playstation up to the internet. I have Verizon DSL modem (it is a Westell with one port only). I spaced out and hooked his PS2 into the ethernet and thought I could use internet through the USB Port. Wroooooooooong idea. I should have known I needed TWO ports.

Wow! I should have known better regarding the two ports idea, but when we hooked the PS2 up to the internet through my ethernet cable, took over the IP address; giving me a ficticious address! It gave me a one hundred number for the IP address. I worked diligently for three nights on correcting the problem. When I reinstalled the software for the NIC, rebooted, I found my IP address with Gateway Address as well as the DHCP address.

My problem still remained I could not access the internet. Usually I can fix my own technical problems. I gave up and took the CPU to my local computer guy ( He has had my computer for one day and thought that they would be able to fix the problem. I think they are confused as to why it is not accessing the internet! I truly believe that it is a Windows OS problem. In the interim, I bought a hub in order for Anthony and I to have access to the internet with both CPU and the PS2.

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions, greatly appreciated.

Ami

I had similar problems.

I found that the problem was being caused by having my router (Linksys WRT54G) and modem (D-Link DSL-300G+) in the same IP range. e.g. Router 192.168.0.1 and router 192.168.0.2. When I changed the router to 192.168.1.1 all the connection issues vanished.

Andy
--
"Logic is invincible because in order to combat logic it is necessary to use logic." -- Pierre Boutroux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back