Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

funny error while reinstalling internet explorer 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

oiuyl

Technical User
Oct 27, 2002
US
I had to reinstall Internet Explorer 6 (because of misperformance of my Outlook Express). I downloaded the latest version of ie6 with sp1. When 75% of the software has finished installing I got a message
"The software you are trying to install is not certified by Microsoft Logo. It is not recommended to install... Installation will now stop".
Now, this is a Microsoft product. Why doesn't it let me install?! It tried it about 4-5 times, and always I get the same message.
Meanwhile my Outlook Express keeps on freezing, and I can't go on like this.
Can anybody please help me?! Thank you.

Are you doing the download then doing the install?
You might try that...just download to a pre-named folder then close ALL programs (AV included) and install it...the download time is the same...and it's there should you need it again.

Thank you Gargouille for responding.

I didn't get what you wrote. Should I download IE6 SP1 into a seperate folder? Does it matter from where the program is launched? Or from what folder? Maybe I didn't understand you.

Thank you.

Exactly. It's kind of tricky, and not very intuitive...but there's a method of downloading it and installing it later.
So I make a folder called download and then separate folders inside that so I can tell what I've downloaded and where it is. One of them is ie6sp1.
Then, when the download is complete, I do the install.
No, it doesn't matter where the install is started from...I just let it install (usually) where it wants to. But if I have to do it again (usually) OR wish to install it on another system (usually) I have the download at hand...that I can burn to CD.
By the way, I looked thru groups.google.com and didn't come up with anyone asking the same question...you have a very strange circumstance happening. Usually google comes up with something...but in this case...nada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back