Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Funky NIC !! PC freezes/resumes constantly when its enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blavergne

IS-IT--Management
May 25, 2001
US
Hi,
I'm trying to fix a friends PC but cant quite seem to figure this problem out. His PC was behaving normally up until a few days ago. Now, everything freezes for apx. half a minute to a minute and then resumes. I've checked a whole bunch of possible reasons why this might happen, and I noticed that the problem goes away when the NIC is disabled. I tried another NIC, but it gave me the same problem. Does anyone know what exactly is going on, and how can I fix it? (Could a more expensive NIC do the trick?)

Thank you,
Barry LaVergne Hope my post helped!

I had the same problem with a 3COM 3c905b.

However, after rinstalling driver a few times, I found that it was unrelated an I had a shared IRQ. In other words my NIC and USB device was sharing the same IRQ.

I redistributed the IRQs and now it works fine, maybe this is your problem also.

If you can, try the nic in another slot, some really don't like sharing resources with some other cards.

blavergne,

Does this occur only during bootup? If so, this is natural since the NIC card will spend 30-45 seconds looking for a response from a LAN connection. If the user is not connected to a LAN/WAN, then disabling this card in device manager is the only way to prevent this (aside from creating a separate hardware profile).

Now, if the user is always using the NIC card (such as for a DSL line), then sometimes this is unavoidable since the amount of time it freezes will depend on many factors (speed of system and efficient response from LAN/WAN connection). This "freezing" is when the card is trying to communicate...

I've noticed this is less prevalent when using Win2K or WinME

Yes , Iagree with the answer up
changing slot will help you
but before that goto safe mode then to the device manage & remove the network Card listeed there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back