Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Funky date in ADP (7-digit year)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebic

Technical User
Jun 28, 2007
CA
I was called in to investigate a problem with the date display in an ADF file. When I viewed the information I saw a date formatted like 01-Nov-2007227. I closed the form and opened up the table to view the information directly, sure enough all the dates were formatted similarly. I closed the file and went back to my computer and opened Enterprise Manager to view the table directly. Here the information is displayed properly. Upon closer examination it appears that the date displays as 01-Nov-2007 14:27 in enterprise manager, but as 01-Nov-2007227 in the ADP file. I checked regional setting which are:
Short - Date dd-MMM-yyyy
Time - HH:mm:ss (we use a 24-hour clock at work)

As far as I can tell this is the only machine that is having this problem with my database.
TIA for any help with this error.

I have never seen an ADP format dates like this. I would like to know if this could potentially spread to other users of the database or even corrupt the database itself.

If I am posting this question in the wrong forum could someone please point me towards the correct forum or any other place to go to find out more information.

TIA for any help/insights on this.

If you can open the ADP file on your PC or another PC and the format looks as you expect then it is a setting on the PC where you are seeing the Julian format. As long as the database field is defined as a Date data type then any valid format is acceptable. The format is purely visual for viewing or entering the date. The date itself, regardless of the viewing format, is stored as a number where the integer part is the days since 1/1/1900 and the fractional part is the hours in the day. You can cast the date to a number something like this to see how it looks, CDbl(Now())

Thanks cmmrfrds for your reply.

I had already removed the adp file from the users machine so I can't check to see if it works fine on another machine. Initially I thought it was a formatting issue until I looked at the table on the users machine which contained the errors at the table level. I will return another adp file to the user and monitor it for discrepancies.

Also, I had checked the formatting on the machine which all checked out as normal. If you could please let me know if there is another setting that I missed. I checked the regional settings on the computer and the formatting on the form itself.

Thanks for your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back