Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Functions

Status
Not open for further replies.

childlead

Technical User
Jul 13, 2001
US
how do you write a function that would read a query, count the number of rows of the query result and then print it on to a list box? i have a list box on my form and i'm trying it get it to read a query and list only the number of rows of the resulting query. thank you for your help. this forum is great!!!

hi,

a very simple example which should get you a bit further in your quest:

Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer)
Me!Text0 = lf_query 'I used just a textbox
End Sub

Private Function lf_query() As Long
Dim str_sql$
Dim rcs_a As Recordset

str_sql = "SELECT count(*) as output from tttekst;"
Set rcs_a = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(str_sql, dbOpenSnapshot)
lf_query = rcs_a!output
rcs_a.Close
Set rcs_a = Nothing
End Function

grtz

CPU-burn

Lookup the RecordCount property in a code window, check out the Microsoft Access example which does exactly what you're talking about.

HTH Joe Miller
joe.miller@flotech.net

Joe,

Access 2K (ADO) doesn't usually return the correct value with this. I often (always?) get the "-1", indicating that " ... the provider doesn't support ... " MichaelRed
mred@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

As an ardent Access 97 user, I have yet to fall into any of the issues with ADO vs DAO. So thank you to MichaelRed for pointing that out as it is not knowledge I possess. I will have to remember that though as I have been experimenting with XP and the office should be switching shortly! Joe Miller
joe.miller@flotech.net

Try setting the ControlSource property of a text box to
=DCount("[any unique field name]","query name")
then use the value returned by the text box to populate the list box.

the -1 is returned by the default recordset type. Which is a forward only.

Change the constant to something that supports the recordcount property :

rst.Open "YourTable", CurrentProject.Connection,adOpenKeySet, adLockOptimistic Tyrone Lumley
augerinn@gte.net

Hi All,

DCount was the best answer, but note that the Recordcount
property only shows 0 or <not-zero>, until you do a moveLAST, then it will show the correct number!

Gzep. ::)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back