Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Functional level could not be raised_Server unwilling process reques

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejortiz

MIS
Feb 2, 2005
US
Hello All,

Any help provided would be greatly appreciated. All servers in my environment are Windows 2003 server throughout the forest. One child domain has previously had it's functional level raised without any problems. When trying to raising another child domain from Windows 2000 Native to Windows Server 2003 domain functional level, I get the following error:

The functional level could not be raised. The error is: The server is unwilling to process the request.

Now when I run dcdiag, I receive the following (I've limited the text below to the errors received):

Starting test: VerifyEnterpriseReferences
The following problems were found while verifying various important DN references. Note, that these problems can be reported because of latency in replication. So follow up to resolve the following problems, only if the same problem is reported on all DCs for a given domain or if the problem persists after replication has had reasonable time to replicate changes.

[1] Problem: Missing Expected Value
Base Object: CN=LostAndFoundConfig,CN=Configuration,DC=bethco,DC=local
Base Object Description: "Server Object"
Value Object Attribute: serverReference
Value Object Description: "DC Account Object"

Recommended Action: This could hamper authentication (and thus replication, etc). Check if this server is deleted, and if so clean up this DCs Account Object. If the
problem persists and this is not a deleted DC, authoratively restore the DSA object from a good copy, for example the DSA on the DSA's home server.

.... BA-DC1 failed test VerifyEnterpriseReferences

Additionally, when I run DNSLint, I receive the following:

Notes:
One or more DNS servers is not authoritative for the domain
Zone serial numbers were not identical on every DNS server
One or more zone files may have expired
SOA record data was unavailable and/or missing on one or more DNS servers

At least one CNAME record for an AD forest GUID was missing from a DNS server

This is listed for some of the DC's in the domain that I want to have the functional level raised:

SOA record data from server:
Authoritative name server: Unknown
Hostmaster: Unknown
Zone serial number: Unknown
Zone expires in: Unknown
Refresh period: Unknown
Retry delay: Unknown
Default (minimum) TTL: Unknown

No Domain Controllers have failed or have been removed from our domain - at least none that I'm aware of. I've been googling the above error phrases without much luck.

Any help provided would be greatly appreciated.

Is your DNS entirely AD-integrated? Have you checked the SOA for the domain in question on each of the DC's or every system handling DNS?

I tend to think that the "missing expected value" error isn't central to your problem, while DNS is. Find the DCs with serial numbers in the SOA that aren't like the others and examine their records. You might have to do something like switch away from being AD-integrated and back again to get things synched up.

ShackDaddy

ShackDaddy,

Our DNS structure is not entirely AD integrated. For the most part, the child domain itself is AD integrated while secondary zones exist outside of the AD integrated zone. These secondary zones exist in the other child domains. The serial #'s for the SOA's are all in sync. Further investigation of the reverse lookup zones indicate some stale NS records. I was under the impression that reverse lookup zones are primarily used for troubleshooting purposes. Am I missing something, or would these stale NS records prevent me from raising the domain functional level?

Thks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back