Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvuppa1

Programmer
Nov 14, 2003
US
can anyone help me writing and calling a function with some parameters. here's wht i know
DEFINE FUNCTION fname(par1,par2)
...can i use it with some where clause using master file and return something

END
how can i call fname? to print the returned value.

You can return a value by setting the function equal to something. For example,

DEFINE FILE sample
WORK/i5=fname(par1,par2);
END

You can use IF, but I don't think you can use WHERE.

Thanks Pete,
I think I have to figure out some other way. I have to access same MAS file for different where conditions and with same parameter values. so i thought I can use a function.
Thanks again for ur time
-P

Sounds like you may want to use Dialogue Manager. DM can alter code based on different conditions. For example, a menu with & variables can be used to tell DM how to build code for a TABLE.

hOW TO USE DIALOGUE MANAGER. I dont see it in any of my tools and options on my webFOCUS Desktop developer studio 4.3.6
Please let me know

I don't remember developer studio dealing much with DM code, but you can insert the code yourself. You probably need to get a Focus manual. A simple example would be; if &REQUEST is 'A', I want to report on FIELD1. Otherwise, I want to use FIELD2. So...

TABLE FILE SAMEFILE
-SET &WORK=IF &REQUEST IS 'A' THEN 'FIELD1' ELSE 'FIELD2';
SUM &WORK
END

DM code can put intelligence into an application, but it can also get very complicated and extensive. It can READ, WRITE, DECODE, IF-THEN-ELSE, GOTO, call functions, default values, etc. That's why you need a manual.

Sample is

If you write in edasprpf the following

DEFINE FUNCTION WAYMD(INDATE/I8,ADD/I8,FMT/A2)
D01/A3=DOWK(INDATE,'A3');
D02/I8=AYMD(INDATE,ADD,'I8');
D03/I8=IF (D01 NE ' ') AND (D02 EQ 0) THEN 20031231 ELSE D02;
D04/A8=EDIT(D03);
D05/A8=IF FMT EQ 'I6' THEN EDIT(D04,'$$999999') ELSE D04;
WAYMD/I8=EDIT(D05);
END

You can
-SET &X=WAYMD(20031230,1,'I8'); in dialog

X/I8=WAYMD(20031230,1,X);

Status
Not open for further replies.